Jump to content
  •       We are consolidating our regional databases into a single repository.  This will allow us to better present regional data alongside our projects and specifically the library materials, papers, photos, and postcards that we would like to get back to their descendants.

  • Sign in to follow this  

    Town: Bloom Township

       (0 reviews)

    Diane

    From History Of Fairfield County, Ohio, And Representative Citizens:

    BLOOM TOWNSHIP

       Bloom township is in the western tier of townships. It is bounded on the north by Violet, on the east by Greenfield, on the south by Amanda and on the west by Pickaway County. It is laid out regularly six sections each direction. There are no large streams in this township, though the Hocking river rises near the center of the township. The Hocking Valley crosses this township across Section 1, in the extreme northeastern part, there are four good pikes running in nearly every direction. The Scioto Valley Traction line and the Ohio Canal pass through sections one and two.

       The township was laid off in 1805; the early settlers were the Hushors, Meyers, Glicks, Clarks, Hoys, Courtrights, Scotts, Crites, Williamsons and others. Abraham Van Courtright came from Pennsylvania in 1801. He married Miss McFarland of Greenfield Township and settled two miles south of Lockville near the Betzer Church. Jesse D. Courtright laid out Greencastle in 1810 and had it surveyed by John Hamilton. Samuel Weisser came from Pennsylvania in 1818 and kept a blacksmith shop for forty years. He was justice of the peace for thirty-five years and an official member of the church fifty years.

       The Presbyterian Church was built in 1861. Names that are connected with this church are Abraham, John and Jacob Courtright, J. A. Whitzel, Samuel Weiner, H. R. Roller, L. C. Friebley, William Swayer. The present (1912) pastor is B. F. Munson who also serves the church at Lithopolis.

       The Rock Mill was built in 1799 and was the first of its kind in the township. The building was low down among the rocks and the grists were taken in at the gable window and let down to the hopper with ropes. The first still-house was at the Stump Spring and was owned by J. D. Courtright. The Alspaughs, Williamsons, Granels, Blenbaughs all have left large numbers of descendants in Bloom township. Among prominent farmers today we note the names of A. V. Courtright, Reuben Faler, W. R. Coffman, C.C. Crist, S. P. Mathia, William Sitterly, C. E. Berry, Austin Smith, J. C. Hummell, Ed. M. Heister, Albert Runkle, Peter Dotson, Frank Zwayer, Irwin Solt.

    Edited by Diane

    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Create an account or sign in to leave a review

    You need to be a member in order to leave a review

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    There are no reviews to display.


×
×
  • Create New...