USPA

Moderators
  • Content count

    684
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About USPA

  • Rank
    Researcher

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Female
  1. The Historical Society was founded in 1964 to help preserve local historic sites, to expand our knowledge and understanding of history, and to share that knowledge with the community. http://www.trappehis...muhlenberg.html 610-489-7560 Info@TrappeHistoricalSociety.org YoWebmaster@TrappeHistoricalSociety.org View full record
  2. The Church The Dutch Reformed Church of Bushkill was built in 1874 replacing an earlier structure. The church grew from missionary work done in 1737 in which year Rev. George Mancius of Kingston organized Dutch Reformed Churches in the Minisink area. The first church building, which was begun in 1832 on a lot donated by Henry Peters, cost about two thousand dollars. The present structure, built in 1874, cost $5,300. The church is now occupied by Bushkill Outreach and the congregation built a new church on Rte. 209. The Community House Another interesting building, once served as the Old Pine Ridge Church located on Bushkill Falls Road. It was moved to the Village of Bushkill where it functioned as a library and a schoolhouse. Later, the Riedmiller Brothers constructed a stone foundation under the building, at which time it became the Bushkill Firehouse. The property is currently owned by the Federal Park System. Schools The first school, according to Simeone Schoonover, was on top of Hog Back Hill. It was made of logs and one side had tumbled down. Sheep often came in and had to be chased out by the children. In 1886 the listed schools in Lehman Township were Hemlock Grove, Brodhead, Schuyler’s Meadow Brook, Pine Ridge Barn Timber and Bushkill. The last one room school in the township, the Pigeon Roost School, still stands at the intersection of the Briscoe Mountain Road and Factory Road. Post Office Toward the end of the 18th Century growth began in the area. John Heller opened a log tavern with a brown jug for a sign and Henry Peters, a merchant, was appointed the first postmaster in 1812. View full record
  3. Visitors to Pike County are often amazed that a location within such close proximity to the New York metropolitan area has remained so free from the usual concomitants of urban development. If they venture to the southeast corner of the country- down to Porter Township-their recollection of the megalopolis may become even dimmer because Porter is the most rural and sparsely populated of all of Pike’s townships. Porter Township was established on December 16, 1851, comprising lands that had previously been contained in Delaware and Lehman Townships. The name is said to have been chosen in honor of James Madison Porter who is believed to have built the first permanent residence in the area sometime around 1849. The only community of any sort listed in the township on an 1872 map of Pike County is the small hamlet of Portersville which existed around the present day Porter‘s Lake. Judge Porter appears to have been a prominent citizen of the region for in 1842 at a celebration in Honesdale feting the visit of Washington Irving., Porter is given credit for dubbing the steep cliffs on the town’s east side, Irving’s Cliff, which until that time had simply been referred to as the “Ledge”. David Rittenhouse Porter served as governor of Pennsylvania from 1839 to 1845 and there are some who believed the township might have been named for him. The sparse population of the township can be explained to some extent, by the meager, inhospitable soil. Any areas that were cultivated usually supported a single homestead. Most of those who decided to make Porter their home were involved in some fashion with harvesting the timber that prevailed in the rocky terrain. By the late 1800’s, reports indicate that most of the township had been cleared of timber leaving a desolate land of low brush and scrub oak. At the southern end of the township, all of the hemlock had been depleted almost half a century earlier in order to supply bark for a large tannery operation at Resica Falls, Monroe County. There are still residents of the township who remember hearing of the uncontrollable fires that raged through the denuded countryside. It is claimed that one such fire burned out of control from Promised Land in Greene Township, east through Porter, Lehman and Delaware Townships to the Delaware River. In the center of Porter Township a wooden sign on Route 402 marks Ludleyville as the site of the first planting of trees on state forest land in October 1899. By virtue of several acts of the 1897 Pennsylvania Legislature the Division of Forestry of the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture was authorized to acquire lands for state forest “reservations”. The planting that occurred in 1899 included ½ acre of Carolina Poplar followed by an additional 1000 Catalpa plantings in the spring of 1900. It is interesting to note that at the time a test of the soil was made. The results of the test showed the ground to be of poor quality (a layer of thin loam under laid with clay), thereby substantiating the barrenness of the Porter terrain. By 1913, the entire experiment was reported a failure due to “winter kill” (another testimony to the severe conditions in Porter and in Pike County in general). However, District Forester E. C. Pyle was able to see some value in the experiment and in 1949 he wrote: “Its failure (the planting experiment) is more impressive than had it been successful. It proves that nature will ultimately reforest if fires are curtailed over long periods. After the acquisition mandates of 1897, the Forest Service began in earnest to place land in forest reserves throughout the state. By 1902 approximately 50,000 acres had been acquired in Pike and Monroe Counties, and this property made up what was then called the Minisink Forest. Under the administration of Gifford Pinchot, who was Commissioner of Forestry in 1921, all of the state’s forest reserve holdings in Pike and Monroe Counties were consolidated into Delaware State Forest which today comprises over 72,000 acres. By far, the majority (64,190 acres) of this popular recreational resource falls in Pike County with over 22,000 acres belonging to Porter Township. 58% of the township therefore, is within the state forest. The first step taken to make Pike’s forest land available to the public came in 1913 when the Department of Forestry authorized the leasing of “small areas of land for the purpose of permanent camping and outing ground.” Since that time, over 1000 cabins have been built on land leased from the Forestry Department. Nowhere is the hunting cabin a more prevalent sight than in Porter, where they actually outnumber permanent, year-round residences. A typical example exists at Pine Flats where a 60 cabin colony and clubhouse stand near the Big Bushkill Creek. A similar cabin colony stands near Little Mud Pond across the lake from a natural cranberry bog. During the 1930’s many improvements were made on state forest land by the Civilian Conservation Corps. Throughout the Delaware Forest the “C.C.C. boys” made a detailed survey and inventory of the timber land which provided information for a comprehensive management plan of the forest. Timber stand improvements were undertaken by removing inferior growth, thereby allowing more valuable species to develop. In order to minimize the risk of fire, a system of fire towers, telephone lines, fire lanes and truck trails was developed. In Porter, the corp was responsible for contracting a public recreation area and fishing access at Peck’s Pond, at the north end of the township. Here, a covered pump, a pavilion, rest rooms picnic tables and fireplaces were constructed and still exist today. Five mile Meadow Road, Flat Ridge Road and the Burnt Mill Road, are all trails that the civilian crew blazed some thirty years ago which are still enjoyed by hikers and snowmobilers. Beyond the benefits to the public, the corp members, many of whom were jobless veterans, seem to have profited from their services in Porter Township and elsewhere in the Delaware Forest. In his review of the C.C.C project in Pike and Monroe Counties, the crew superintendent of the Edgemere encampment in Porter Township had the following comments: “. . . the work has had a large measure in bringing them back to a normal station in the world . . . Consequently they are benefited both physically and spiritually through the various camp activities.” Lumbering operations in Porter Township also provided activity for German prisoners-of-war during World War II when the American government was seeking isolated, secure locations in which prisoners could be put to work. The Delaware Forest today is visited by thousands of people annually for a wide variety of outdoor recreation activities. The streams and lakes provide spectacular views of the lakes, hills, and swamps, as well as frequent sights of wild birds and animals. For several years intensive studies of the black bear in its natural habitat have been carried out on here. A visitor to the state forest may be fortunate enough to spot a bear, but will almost certainly have the chance to observe deer and many smaller animals. Along with the immense State Forest holdings, Porter Township has numerous private estates and hunting clubs which have guaranteed that a vast amount of acreage remain in an undeveloped state. Examples of these privately owned estates include the Porters Lake Club, Hunters Rage, the Saw Creek Hunting and Fishing Club, The Beaver Run Club, Dorney Park’s Hermitage, and many others. View full record
  4. The Pike County Historical Society maintains a large collection of genealogical resources through which people from all over the country may research information about their ancestors who lived in Pike County and other nearby areas. The museum resources include an extensive collection of early records, such as births, marriage, death, census, warrants, deeds, and voting rolls. The genealogical library also houses books about families who lived in the area during the 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries, as well as a media file containing scrapbooks of historical articles and photographs of local events and personalities. We also boast a collection of 7,000 obituaries from the tri-state area. http://pikehistorical.org/ Visitors doing genealogical research at the museum are asked to pay a $15 fee. Genealogical questions may also be sent to the Pike County Historical Society at P.O. Box 915; Milford, PA 18337-0915. These should be accompanied by a check for prompt service. Or you can email us with your request and our staff will be happy to begin your search! The Society has over 500 general interest books, and about 400 rare titles. They include a complete set of the works of Zane Grey, a long-term resident of Lackawaxen, and several books by Stephen Crane, the author of The Red Bade of Courage, who once camped at Twin Lakes in Sholola. Numerous titles in the collection focus upon Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War, many pertain to the history and culture of Pike County, and a small collection of art books features the 19th century artists and the Hudson River School. View full record
  5. Blooming Grove: Created December 17, 1850, from parts of Lackawaxen and Palmyra Townships. The central township of Pike County and the only township not bordered by another County. History does not tell us the origin of the name, but two possibilities are considered. One is that the settlers found a grove of apple trees when coming here, and the other is the existence of an abundance of blooming pink Mountain Laurel. A map of Pennsylvania drawn by W. Scull in 1770 does indicate "Blooming Grove", the 'Sheholy" Creek and the "Sheholy House". A writing about Sylvanus Seely, by Theodore Thayer, mentions that Jonas Seely obtained a warrant in 1765 which included the Blooming Grove tract. When Blooming Grove Township was established, the principal occupation of the inhabitants was logging and saw mills. This remained true well into the 20th Century. One of the first known land developments was the property of the Lord family purchased when coming here in 1809. It seems a development was advertised in the Philadelphia newspaper and they came to see what it was, purchased the property and settled Lords Valley. www.bloominggrovetownship.com Delaware: The oldest of Pike's Townships, existed before 1766 as part of Northhampton County. It got its name because it bordered the Delaware River. It originally extended west to Luzerne County. www.delawaretownshippa.gov Dingman: Created April 17, 1832. Named for Daniel Westbrook Dingman, a member of the Pennsylvania Legislature and a County Judge for 26 years. His grandfather, Andrew Dingman first came to the area about 1735 and started Dingman's Ferry. www.dingmantownship.org Greene: Created April 24, 1839, from Palmyra Township. Named for the popular Revolutionary War General Nathaniel Greene, who fought at Boston, Long Island, Trenton and Brandywine. no website Lackawaxen: Was named for the river which bore the Indian name meaning swift waters. It was one of the original townships of Wayne County in 1798. Lackawaxen is the largest and northernmost township in Pike County and has a prominent railroad history in the area. lackawaxentownshippa.gov Lehman: Created August 19, 1829, from Delaware Township. Listed on Tax rolls for Upper Smithfield Township in 1815 was Joseph Leighman, paying 55 cents on 442 acres. In 1824 his name was spelled Leaman and by 1832 was Lehman. The Township lies between Porter, Middle Smithfield and Delaware Townships. It is the home of the famous Bushkill Falls. www.lehmantownship.com Matamoras: Incorporated as a borough on January 18, 1905, was originally part of Westfall Township. Named during the Mexican War after the American Army captured the Mexican town of Matamoras. That town had originally been named for Rev. Mariano Matamoras, a hero of the Mexican Revolution. no website Milford Borough: Incorporated as a borough on December 25, 1874, and was originally part of Milford Township. Milford's history dates back to 1733 when Tom Quick was the first settler. There are numerous historic buildings throughout the village, noteworthy among them are Forest Hall, Hotel Fauchere, the Court House, Grey Towers, The Columns, the Upper Mill and the Community House, the Callahan House, the Dimmick Inn and the Tom Quick Inn. www.milfordboro.org Milford Township: Created April 17, 1832, from Upper Smithfield Township. John Biddis laid out the village in 1796. Some say it was named for Milford Haven in Wales where William Biddis (father of John) was born. Other say the Wells' Mill and the spot where the Delaware was forded resulted in the name Mill-Ford. no website Palmyra: Originally much larger, was formed in 1798 as a part of Wayne County. Like Bethany, Caanan, Promise Land and Lebanon, it was named because of its Biblical connection. The ancient town of Palmyra (or Tadmor) today is in Syria. The population of Palmyra, Pike, according to the 1830 census was 394. During the Great Depression of 1930 the population fell to only 365. By 1990 Palmyra had increased to 1,876. The villages of Palmyra Township include: Kimbles, Wilsonville, Tafton, Paupack, Shiny Mountain and Greentown. no website Porter: Created December 16, 1851, from parts of Delaware and Lehman Townships. Named in honor of Hon. James Madison Porter who built the first house there at Portersville by Porter Lake in 1849. During the early days logging and tanning were the primary industries. These activities left most of the township desolate and barren of trees. With very poor soil conditions...little else was left to accomplish. Years later, now numerous with woods and waters, outdoor enthusiasts continue to enjoy the rugged beauty and serenity of the area. www.portertownship.net Shohola: Created September 25, 1852, from parts of Lackawaxen, Westfall and Milford Townships, bears the name which Indians used to describe the Creek. In comparison to the nearby Lackawaxen "swift waters," the Shohola was more quiet, tranquil or peaceful. Those who ask for a one-word translation of "Shohola" might well select "peaceful". While there were only a few farms in the area at first, growth began with the coming of the Erie Railroad in 1848. Seven years later, a bridge was built, replacing the ferry which connected Shohola with Barryville and the Delaware and Hudson Canal. Boarding houses, which where once a rather large industry in Shohola, where replaced by vacation houses and these are being replaced by permanent residences. www.shoholatwp.org Westfall: Created January 31, 1839, from Milford Township. Simon Westfall (or Westfael) first settled there before 1743. His son Simon built the stone house in Matamoras. Two descendants, Cornelius and Jacob served as Justices of the Peace. no website View full record
  6. County of Pike History The County of Pike was separated from Wayne County on March 26, 1814. Wayne had been separated from Northhampton on March 21, 1798, and Northhampton had been formed from part of Bucks County on March 11, 1752. Bucks was one of the original counties created by William Penn in 1682. When formed in 1814, Pike County included the Townships: Middle Smithfield Delaware Upper Smithfield Lackawaxen Palmyra By the Act of April 1, 1836 , a portion of Pike County was cut off to form part of Monroe County; otherwise, it's boundaries remain as they were established by the Act of 1814. It was named for Zebulon Montgomery Pike, discoverer of Pike's Peak and a General killed in the war of 1812. The County Seat is Milford. The original Courthouse was constructed in 1815. The present Courthouse was completed in 1874. The Administration Building was completed in 1985. The latest County facility is the Pike County Jail which was completed in 1995. View full record
  7. The purpose of the Macungie Historical Society is to promote the discovery, collection, preservation, archive, display, interpretation, and publication of the history, historical records, culture, landmarks, artifacts, memorabilia, and data of, and relating to, the Borough of Macungie and its surrounding areas. http://www.macungie.org/ View full record
  8. Lynn and Heidelberg Townships located in Lehigh County, has over 250 years of history and many generations of memories. This Historical Society preserves those memories and passes on history to future generations. http://lynnheidelberg.org/ Situated in the northwest corner of present day Lehigh County. It is bordered on the north by the Blue Mountain. The Ontelaunee Creek drains much of this rural township. Lynn Township was established in 1732. The early settlers came from the German Palatinate, Switzerland and an area known as "Allemaengel". Many small villages still exist from the 1700's and the 1800's, including New Tripoli, Lynnport, Wanamakers, Jacksonville, Mosserville, Stine's Corner, Steinsville, and Lynnville. On October 5, 1999, the Historical Society was founded. It is a non-profit corporation in the Commonwealth of Pa., and designated as a 501©(3) Charitable Organization under federal tax law. Original trustees are Carl D. Snyder, Irwin P. Hamm, Robert A. Nagle, Willard A. Snyder, and Dawn A. Straughn. Our Mission: The support of an educational undertaking by promoting the discovery, collection, preservation, archive display, interpretation and publication of the history, historical records, culture, landmarks, artifacts, memorabilia, and data of, and relating to the Townships of Lynn-Heidelberg and surrounding areas. View full record
  9. Our Mission Statement The mission of the Emmaus Historical Society is to collect, preserve and exhibit Emmaus artifacts, documents, histories, photographs and genealogy for displays and research and to offer educational programs and events throughout the year. http://www.emmaushistoric-pa.org/ German Settlers began coming to the area known as “Maguntsche” (derived from the Lenni Lenape phrase “Feeding place of the Bears”), around 1730. They were fleeing war and seeking religious freedom. The oldest building within Emmaus is the “Zuflucht Haus” or Shelter House. It was built around 1734 near an Indian trail along the slopes of South Mountain and was probably a safe haven and shelter for early travelers. During the next few years log cabins were built in the area. In 1736 George Shoemaker took a warrant for two hundred acres of land near the present site of Emmaus High School. In 1738 John Henry Knauss settled near Furnace Dam. Sebastian Knauss built his home near the present day railroad underpass. Jacob Ehrenhardt erected his cabin on South Keystone Ave, near where his son built his stone house in 1803. It was the Ehrenhardt house that the missionary and patron, Count Zinzendorf came to preach in late 1741. In 1742 a community church was built and in 1746 a Moravian boarding school. In 1758-59 the community became a “German Ort” or a closed Moravian village. The first house officially built in the new village was at the now 160 Main Street. It was built by Andreas Giering and occupied in 1759. The village was first called Salzburg (Salisbury). The present name of Emmaus was given by Bishop Spangenberg at a Moravian Love Feast April 3, 1761. It was changed to Emaus in 1830 and was incorporated under that name in 1859. In 1938 petitions were circulated under the leadership of the Emaus Rotary Club to change the name again, and Emaus once again became Emmaus. The Revolutionary War brought new tribulations to the Emmaus community. Moravians were pacifists and such were harassed, fined and even imprisoned for refusal to fight. Twelve members did enlist in the Continental Army and were eventually buried anonymously in God’s Acre at the foot of Third Street. The Railroad came through Emmaus in 1859, the same year the village incorporated into a Borough with a population of 277. View full record
  10. Welcome to the Lehigh County Historical Society's Library and Archives. We invite you to explore our excellent collection of local and regional history and extensive genealogy holdings. Here, at one of Pennsylvania's most significant archives, you will find a wealth of resource material for the serious and casual historian and the genealogist: books, maps, newspapers, photographs, oral histories, church and social records, personal and family papers, business documents and numerous county records. To facilitate your research, our reading room offers skilled staff and comfortable quarters. http://www.lehighvalleyheritagemuseum.org/Library.htm View full record
  11. Careful to have your volume turned down before visiting this site! The Historical Society of East Pennsboro Township is a non-profit, all-volunteer, educational and historical organization that is dedicated to the preservation and interpretation of East Pennsboro Township heritage, landmarks and artifacts. Its purpose and objectives are to educate the public regarding the history of East Pennsboro Township; to collect and preserve for educational purposes any significant relics, artifacts and documents relating to East Pennsboro’s history; to foster greater awareness, interest, friendship and pride in East Pennsboro Township and the communities which share its history. http://www.ephistory.org/ View full record
  12. Gateway Historical Society was established during the summer of 2008 and was incorporated August 25, 2008. We are the Official Historical Society for both Wormleysburg and Lemoyne, but represent other localities that border the two communities. http://lemoynepa.com...calsociety1.php Before Lemoyne was incorporated in 1905, the area was first named as Bridgeport in 1835 and later Riverton in 1888. When the population hit 800, the citizens decided to apply for their own post office. The United States Postal Service granted the request on one condition, that the name of the town be changed so as not to be confused with Riverton, VA. A town meeting was held and the name Lemoyne was chosen to honor a French soldier, Charles LeMoyne, who had once explored the Ohio River and later settled near Harrisburg. He had no direct connection to Riverton, but he was well known and nothing had been named in honor of him. After choosing the name, Lemoyne was officially incorporated on May 23, 1905. View full record
  13. We welcome you to explore, discover and experience all that the Cumberland County Historical Society has to offer. From our award-winning Museum to our Educational Programs, from our Library of county records and genealogical materials to our Photo Archives, and our Programs which include gallery talks, lectures, teacher in-services, walking tours and family-oriented programs, there is truly something for everyone at this Premier History Center! The Cumberland County Historical Society, founded in 1874, is dedicated to collect, preserve, interpret and promote the rich history of Cumberland County. CCHS also maintains an Award-Winning Museum Shop and the Two Mile House in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. In addition, CCHS collaborates with the Cumberland Valley Visitors Bureau in maintaining and staffing the county Visitors Center located within the Shop. http://www.historicalsociety.com/ View full record
  14. Founded in 1750, Cumberland County is one of the oldest counties in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and maintains over 260 years of official records. The Cumberland County Archives is dedicated to managing and preserving records created by the County’s various governmental Offices and Departments, and primarily houses non-active, permanent, pre-1930 records. However, a substantial number of other records, including some historic documents as well as newer records, are maintained by the various Offices and Departments themselves. http://www.ccpa.net/...x.aspx?nid=2566 Like this View full record
  15. The Tyrone Area Historical Society is located in central Pennsylvania. Founded in 1990, the Society is committed to the stories of Tyrone, Snyder Township, Warriors Mark and Sinking Valley in Blair and Huntingdon counties. Our mission is to encourage the community to preserve and share the unique history of Tyrone and the surrounding communities. http://www.tyronehistory.org/ People first moved into the area that would become Tyrone about 8,000 years ago. These nomadic ancestors of today's American Indians lived by hunting and gathering. Evidence of their camps has been discovered all along the I-99 corridor and in nearby Sinking Valley. The first known individual was Captain Logan who lived with his family near the big spring near what is now the intersection of W 10th St and Washington Avenue. According to local tradition, Captain Logan, was of the Lenni Lenape nation who came to the banks of the Little Juniata River with his family before the 1760s. He had lost an eye while engaged in a battle on the Susquehanna River. During the American Revolution, he shared information regarding the plans of the Tories (supporters of England) in Sinking Valley with the local militia. In 1785, he lost his lands because he had never purchased them. He and his family moved to Chinklacamoose, an Indian village where the town of Clearfield is today (Tarring Davis, History of Altoona and Blair County, Pennsylvania, 1931, pages 7-8). By the early 19th century, the first industries arose along the banks of the Little Juniata in the water gap just east of Tyrone. As early as 1806, John Gloninger & Company opened Tyrone Forge, a series of ironworking shops for converting the highly esteemed Juniata iron produced by the dozens of iron furnaces in the vicinity from cast iron to wrought iron. The waters of the Juniata were suitable for turning waterwheels, and almost immediately saw and grist mills were built in support of the forge and the community of workers that it attracted. The forge was soon acquired by William M. Lyon & Company (later, Lyon, Shorb & Company). View full record