USVT

Moderators
  • Content count

    203
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About USVT

  • Rank
    Researcher

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Female
  1. Located at The Grange Hall , Route 44, Brownsville, VT. The Museum and Historic Records are located on the 2nd floor which is ADA accessible and open on Tuesdays from 10:00 AM until noon. Phone number: 484-7474 Except for July, January and February, the Directors meet the 2nd Thursday of each month at 7:30 P.M. http://www.westwinds...2-4D0E35A305D0} For membership information or to arrange a visit please contact: President: Tom Kenyon, 484-3370 Membership Secretary: Tom Kenyon, 484-3370 Historic Records: Mary Jane Wentworth, 484-3336 Museum: Jane Stillson, 674-4161 Mailing Address: West Windsor Historical Society P.O. Box 12 Brownsville, VT 05037 View full record
  2. Don’t miss these treasures in the heart of Weston. Each museum is a sight to behold! Perfectly preserved to provide much more than a glimpse into life in the early nineteenth century, lose yourself and hear the sounds of those who built, lived and worked in Weston’s museums. Open to the public, these buildings are staffed and maintained solely by volunteers from Weston, a town that really cares about the preservation of Weston’s long and wonderful history. At the Farrar-Mansur House, your very friendly and knowledgeable hosts will tell you all you want to know about how cooking was done on wood fires in the fireplace, how rocking chairs were designed to help moms hold babies, how beds were warmed in winter using warm rocks and so much more. Learn about how so many “modern household conveniences” from back in the day were designed and constructed to serve a practical purpose from the materials at hand. At the Old Mill, you will see how a grist mill operated and how the power of water was harnessed to do many tough tasks! And lastly, be sure to visit the town’s first firehouse! http://www.weston-ve...storic-museums/ View full record
  3. The charter for Cavendish was issued by New Hampshire on October 12, 1761 and the Town was rechartered by New York on June 16, 1762. Cavendish was most likely named for William Cavendish, the fourth Duke of Devonshire. The first settlers in Cavendish, John and Susanna Coffeen and their children, arrived in 1769. Salmon Dutton, who came in 1781, founded what is today known as the village of Cavendish, while Leonard Proctor arrived in 1782, developing what is now called the village of Proctorsville. The original size of Cavendish was seven miles square. On October 19, 1793, the southeast corner of Cavendish was organized into a Town by the name of Baltimore. The main reason behind this division was that communication with Town officials was very difficult for those who lived south of Hawks Mountain. Cavendish lost 3,000 acres to Baltimore. In 1841, by legislative decree, Cavendish lost an additional 2,000 acres of its southern border to the Town of Chester. Therefore, a total of 5,000 acres of Cavendish was lost from its original charter. The first highway through Cavendish was the Crown Point Road, begun in 1759 at Fort No. 4 in Charlestown, N.H., and passed through Vermont to its terminus at Crown Point, New York. This road was built by the order of General Amherst, the British General of all armies of North America during the French and Indian War. The road was needed to facilitate transportation of supplies and communications between New York forts and New Hampshire's Fort No. 4. The Crown Point Road went through the Township of Cavendish from the southeast corner to the northwest corner. In June of 1769 Captain Coffeen came to Cavendish from Rindge, New Hampshire to become the town's first settler. He established his home near the Crown Point Road in the northwest part of town. In 1771 two more families arrived, the Russells and the Gilberts. At the start of the Revolutionary War there were five families residing in Cavendish. By 1790 the population was 491 and in 1870, the Town recorded its highest population ever with 1,823 residents. In 2010, The United States Census reported Cavendish's residential population to be 1,370. The Town's first settlers established their homes in the hills, because it was easier and faster to clear land. Once the land had been cleared, the settlers started to raise agricultural crops such as wheat and corn. The first major type of farming was raising sheep for wool, which was sold to local markets. Sheep farming ended with the coming of the railroads, which allowed for importation of cheaper wool from larger sheep ranches in the West. At this point farmers turned to raising crops that could be sold to markets in the cities. Dairy farming became the next main occupation for farmers. At one time, there were approximately 36 active dairy farms in Cavendish. In the early 1800's there were three gristmills, eight saw mills, four pulping mills, three carding machines, two woolen factories, one nail factory, three tanneries, one tinware and stove factory, one hat factory, and several other businesses in Cavendish. By 1869 there were factories producing woodenwares, lead pipes, pumps, edge tools, starch, saddlery and harnesses, and rake and tool handles. From 1870 to 1880, Cavendish lost over five hundred residents due to westward expansion and younger people moving to cities in search of higher wages. The Town population continued to decline in 1880's, reaching a low of 1,172 people, the lowest level from 1810 to the present. Up until 1875, Cavendish had three major textile mills: one in Cavendish Village; one in Proctorsville Village and one in what were then known as Fittonsville, a commercially oriented hamlet a short distance downstream on the Black River to the southwest of Cavendish Village. In 1875 a catastrophic fire of suspicious origin wiped out almost the entire Fittonsville complex and it was not rebuilt. This left the mills in Proctorsville and Cavendish villages to provide the major influences in the development of the town and became the Town's major employer. The mills eventually closed; the Proctorsville mill in 1937, followed by the Cavendish mill in 1957. Mack Molding Company, a plastics manufacturing firm, became the next occupant of the Cavendish mill and continues to operate today. The mill in Proctorsville was occupied by several small businesses for a number of years until it was destroyed by fire in 1982. In 1914, an important asset for the town was created,Proctor Piper State Forest, with the donation of 424 acres. A second gift from Leon S. Gay in the mid-30s added 300 acres, and additional purchases of property added another 700 acres. The property today is host to a wide variety of wildlife and recreational activities of fishing, snowmobiling, hunting, and trapping. Over the years, Cavendish has survived a number of natural disasters. A devastating flood occurred in 1927. During that flood, the Black River's waters spilled over its banks, washing out lower Cavendish Village and creating a large gully. The waters took seven houses, ten barns, four garages, and eight automobiles. In 1938 a major hurricane struck the Town. The winds blew down thousands of trees, blocking nearly every road. In 1973, Cavendish again experienced a severe flood that washed out many roads and bridges. On July 21, 2003, a ferocious storm with heavy rain, lightning and very severe winds roared through town. Classified as a tornado, the storm destroyed one mobile home (while occupied), blew apart several outbuildings, damaged several other homes and lay flat acres of forest. The Town of Cavendish was home to U.S.S.R. dissident and author, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn from 1977 to 1994. The Nobel Laureate called Cavendish home because it was a place where he could find sanctuary and a quiet atmosphere in which to write. Once Communist rule in Russia was over, he decided to return to Russia. To mark his departure, he was presented a plaque from the town as a token of esteem at the Cavendish Town Meeting on February 28, 1994. When Solzhenitsyn died in 2008, the town gathered to remember their neighbor. In the last decade much work has been done to improve and revitalize the village centers, especially Proctorsville. In the late 1990's the Town of Cavendish applied for and received several important grants for revitalizing Proctorsville. With matching funds and in-kind matches provided by the Town and the private sector, the Town was able to change the vacant Proctorsville mill site into a handsome, well-designed village green with recreational space and with affordable housing strategically placed adjacent to the green. In recent years, the Town of Cavendish has felt the influence of Okemo Mountain Resort, in Ludlow in a variety of ways, including housing, employment, tourism, traffic and population. There has also been a rebirth of community spirit in the 2000s. There has been a renewal in community interest and ongoing town activities. There have been summer concerts on the Proctorsville Green, a community holiday affair in November, the creation of the Cavendish Players that offer a play in August, as well as other cultural and arts activities. There has been a revitalized interest in maintaining existing community institutions and creating new community organizations to enhance community and cultural life of the town. At one time, there were ten small schools, with grades one through eight, scattered throughout the Town. At present, the Town has one elementary school serving grades kindergarten through six, which is located in Proctorsville. Cavendish students travel to Chester for grades 7-12 at the Green Mountain Union High School. The Cavendish School is a vital community center, providing a forum for town meetings and other functions. The community library was also moved to be co-located at the school in 1990. The town citizens came together in 1995 to build a playground behind the school. And in 2004, the school underwent a major reconstruction project to improve and enhance the facilities. Today, in many ways, Cavendish has returned to its roots. With the arrival of the internet age, there has been a blossoming of small home-based businesses. While the early settlers produced items that were needed locally and in surrounding towns, thanks to the web, many of our current businesses sell products and services all over the world There is a growing artist community as well as a return to small farming. Once again cows and sheep dot the Cavendish landscape. View full record
  4. The Weathersfield Historical Society was founded in 1951, to preserve the history of our Town, both in the form of artifacts and in written records. Our museum, the Reverend Dan Foster House, is located on the Weathersfield Center Road in the Weathersfield Center Historic District, across the road from the historic Weathersfield Meeting House and First Congregational Church. http://www.weathersf...torical-society Hours for the Rev. Dan Foster House: Tues - Fri, 2PM -5PM. For more information or an appointment outside of these hours contact Ellen Clattenburg, Curator, at ellen.clattenburg@gmail.com or call 263-5505 (unfortunately no answering machine). Admission is free, but donations are appreciated. In addition to our permanent collection, there are special exhibits during the summer. Other programs we are planning: a hike sometime in July and the Annual Meeting in October. Additional gifts of historic Weathersfield materials are always welcome. Curator Ellen Clattenburg should be contacted by potential donors at [802] 263-5055, or write the society at the PO Box below. Our research library, on the lower level of the new barn at the Museum, houses our wonderful collection of old Weathersfield photographs as well as primary source material on Weathersfield families and Vermont history. Old records of the First Congregational Church are housed here, also. For pictures and more information on the History of the Town, click here Weathersfield History. Like this View full record
  5. The Sharon Historical Society is housed in a small brick building adjacent to the Sharon Congregational Church, and offers numerous informative presentations throughout the summer as well as participating in town events such as Old Home Days and regional fairs like the White River Historical Fair. The Sharon Historical Society is located at 4626 VT Route 14 in Sharon, VT. For more information about the activities and collections of the Historical Society, contact Mary Ayer, President, c/o Sharon Historical Society, 1315 Beaver Meadow Road, Sharon, VT 05065. http://www.sharonvt....al-society.html View full record
  6. In 1916 a local group of historians met in the newly built Damon Hall and drafted a Constitution. “The association shall be called the Hartland Historical Society and shall consist of active and contributing members. The object of this society shall be to discover, collect, preserve and create an interest in, whatever relates to the history of Hartland, Vermont”. http://www.hartlandhistory.org/ We are working to maintain that mission with our museum building at 14 Rt12 in Hartland. Our hours are Mondays from 1 to 4 and Fridays from 9 to 11. We have artifacts that have been generously given or loaned to us over all these years. They consist of items, pictures, letters, diaries and more from local families, town and church records and those of other organizations. We have items of interest from other areas: the stove from the first library, the movie projectors used for public films in the early 1900's uniforms, war posters and other artifacts from Hartlanders who served our country in different wars. Of special interest is our library of cemetery records, genealogies, and school records. Now, thanks to the internet, we are answering requests from an ever broadening audience and learning more to add to our library, as well. Like this View full record
  7. The Rochester Historical Society located at the Rochester Public Library will be unavailable to visitors until further notice – after renovation to the building site which will likely be Summer 2015. Thanks to all for your understanding. We can be contacted through the website and the e-mail address, and hopefully will be able to answer your questions. http://www.rochesterhistorical.org/ At the Rochester Public Library, 2nd Floor The Rochester Historical Society Museum is located at 22 South Main Street in the historic Rochester Public Library building, in the center of Rochester Village. This building, with historic memorial stained glass windows, was formerly the Universalist Church, whose Society merged with the Congregational Church in 1925. The building was deeded to the trustees of the Rochester Public Library in 1934. Exhibit Hours The Museum is generally open from Memorial Day through Columbus Day, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from 1:00 – 4:00, depending upon the availability of volunteer staff. A telephone call in advance will likely confirm that the Museum is or can be open. Telephone: (802) 767-4453 E-mail: admin@rochesterhistorical.org Mailing Address: Rochester Historical Society P.O. box 428 Rochester, VT 05767 View full record
  8. Collect, preserve and display locally significant historical materials which help establish and illustrate the history of Plymouth. We seek to operate a center for research centered on Plymouth, neighboring towns. This center will also provide internet access to promote wider collaborative and supportive study. http://www.plymouthv...calsociety.org/ The first meeting of the Plymouth Vermont Historical Society was held on Oct. 10, 1988 at the home of Barbara Mahon in Frog City. The house was built in 1800 by Captain John Coolidge for his daughter Catherine Elizabeth Coolidge as she married Joseph Sawyer. Officers were Betty Jarvi, president; Eliza Ward, vice-president; Bette Anne Sailer, secretary.; and Vivian Blanchard, treasurer. Barbara Chiolino, Betty Barton Bailey and Barbara Mahon were also present. In 1994 the Plymouth Vermont Historical Society was given 501©3, non-profit status, and a museum located in the former town office building was established. Artifacts continued to be collected and displayed and programs of historical interest were offered periodically. Membership was small but dedicated. Betty Jarvi, Midge Tucker, Eliza Ward and Melissa Lynds continued to provided leadership and inspiration as the historical society expanded and improved. Like this View full record
  9. Welcome to the Norwich Historical Society. Our mission is to preserve and interpret the history of the town of Norwich, the Lewis House and the collections therein, and to foster a greater sense of appreciation and respect for our shared heritage. The Society maintains the historic 1897 Lewis House in the heart of Norwich’s historic downtown along with an extensive collection of artifacts, photos, and archives relating to the town’s history. Annual exhibits are mounted in the three spacious exhibit rooms on the first floor, and other special events are held at the Historical Society throughout the year. We have an active educational program with the Marion Cross School that brings elementary school students to the Lewis House to learn about more about history. http://norwichvthistoricalsociety.org/ Wednesdays and Thursdays, 10am-4pm NOTE WE ARE CLOSED FOR STAFF VACATION, MARCH 17-25. In the summer, we are also open Saturdays, 10am-Noon (June-October) Unexpected (and unavoidable) closures do occur; if you are traveling to visit us, it is recommended you call or email in advance so we may be sure to accommodate you: 802-649-0124 / info@norwichhistory.org View full record
  10. The Hartford Historical Society is a non-profit, educational institution founded in 1987 by fourteen dedicated residents of the Town of Hartford, Vermont. The Society’s Goals are to foster interest in local history, to serve the public as well as its members, and to encourage the preservation of the material culture of the Town of Hartford. The society offers four educational programs a year, in September, November, April and June. These programs are open to the public and are free of charge. In addition, the society operates the Garipay House, at 1461 Maple Street in Hartford Village. The Garipay House was bequeathed to the Hartford Historical Society in 1994 by the late Loretta Michota Garipay. An Open House is held on the second Sunday of each month (May to September) from 1:30 to 4 PM, and the first Tuesday of each month (May to October) from 6 to 8 PM. The public is welcome to enjoy our displays of items pertaining to the history of Hartford. http://www.hartfordhistory.org/ Our own Martha Knapp has prepared presentations for children of all ages and can either come to your school or the schoolchildren can come and visit the Garipay House and learn about our rich local history. Public schools, private schools and home schoolers are all invited to contact Martha at (802) 296-3132. Like this View full record
  11. The Chester Historical Society is an active organization in Chester. Please see the Calendar of Events for their various activities and meeting dates.Their Museum is located in their building on Main Street and is closed for the winter season. http://www.chester.g...3C&Type=B_BASIC Yosemite Fire House, 1878-79, is located on VT Route 103 in Chester. "Yosemite" is a Miwak Indian tribe name meaning Grizzly Bear. "Yosemite" was also the name on the engine purchased for Chester's Fire House. The name was quickly adopted by the men for their volunteer Fire Department. The Yosemite Fire House is a distinct structure and a fine example of early fire houses. Why two towers? The taller tower was used for drying hoses and the shorter one housed the alarm bell, which can be used today. There are plans to renovate the structure into a Fireman's Museum. To contact them: Chester Historical Society, Inc. P. O. Box 118 Chester, VT 05143 View full record
  12. Bridgewater Historical Society preserves the exciting history of Bridgewater, Vermont and its many hamlets. Explore our extensive collection of artifacts, maps, photographs and data on area gold mines, mills, civil war and much more. We are located in one of Vermont’s oldest schoolhouses. http://www.bridgewaterhistory.org/ Brick School House This two-story brick schoolhouse was built in 1803. In 1840, a bell tower and second story were added, creating a large room with a unique vaulted ceiling. The ground floor has a fireproof concrete vault, as the town office was housed here at one time. After the new village school was built in 1914, the building served various uses including living quarters, barbershop and a community center. The Bridgewater Historical Society’s first public program hosted Howard Coffin, a well-known author and Civil War historian. A closing comment was made that in August 1854 the townspeople met at this very same building to “favor the repeal of the Fugitive Slave Act (Law)” The saving of the schoolhouse not only marks that event, but also honors the soldiers from Bridgewater who served in the Civil War, and subsequent wars. Monthly Meetings are held last Tuesday of each month at 6:30 pm at: Old Brick School House • 12 North Bridgewater Road • Bridgewater, Vermont View full record
  13. The Bethel Historical Society seeks out, collects, interprets and displays materials, artifacts, records and information that are related to the history of Bethel, Vermont, and the surrounding area. The Society partners with other community and educational organizations in order to encourage the value of this history and preserve it for the future. The Society produces and presents a yearly series of lectures on topics relevant to the history of the area. It also publishes a quarterly newsletter. The society is funded through membership dues, donations, grants and several fundraising events throughout the year. There are currently over two hundred and fifty dues paying members. As always, we appreciate the volunteer spirit and willingness to assist that our members show at events sponsored by the Society. http://bethelvermont.com/ View full record
  14. The Woodstock History Center interprets the history of Woodstock, Vermont and the surrounding area. It houses a large collection of antique furniture, fine art, clothing, textiles, silver, ceramics, photographs, and early American toys. The Dana House, the History Center’s Museum, was built in 1807 for village merchant Charles Dana. In 1943 it was sold by the Dana family and turned into a museum. The Woodstock History Center’s mission is: To collect and preserve the evidence of the history of Central Windsor County, with particular attention to Woodstock and the surrounding communities To provide leadership in local history education, especially in public schools, and opportunities for local history research To serve as a resource center for local historical concerns To provide a forum for public study and discussion of current issues which have a strong bearing on the history of the region To learn more about the Woodstock Historical Society’s mission, come visit the Society’s Woodstock History Center, which is located at 26 Elm Street, in the heart of historic Woodstock, Vermont. http://woodstockhistorical.org/ The administrative offices are open year round, Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The John Cotton Dana Research Library is also open year round, but by appointment only. If possible, before coming in, please contact the History Center at 802-457-1822 or email info@woodstockhistorical.org, and let the staff know of your research needs so that they may better serve you. The Dana House Museum will be officially re-opening for the 2015 season on Sunday, June 28. View full record
  15. The Historical Society of Wilmington, a duly organized nonprofit entity, is dedicated to collecting, preserving, teaching, and displaying the history of Wilmington. This is realized with the efforts of all those who volunteer with the society, as well as those who donate. http://www.wilmingto...calsociety.com/ Contact Us Email President Julie Moore Mailing Address Historical Society of Wilmington P.O. Box 1751 Wilmington, VT 05363 View full record