Gary Eichenlaub

not sure how to use this site

hi  i've dong some research on ancestry com and family search sites.  looking for some more info on my grandfather from my pop's side.  Pop's father Theodor Eichenlaub was born in1888 claiming Landau in Pfalz as his birth place.  His brother Mathias was born in 1886.  I'm trying to find out if Caroline and Ludwig Eichenlaub are their  parents as shown in previous New york records I have found.  Mathias got married to Maria in Bronx N.Y in 1920.  So if their are any birth records or even residence records in Landau Germany to view.

thanks for any response to this request.

Gary Franz Eichenlaub

Hi Gary,

My observation is that Ancestry.com has recently started to gain more Germany records online. Previously, they had an index but you couldn't actually view the record so searching there has definitely improved. There are quite a few records at Ancestry for Theodor Eichenlaub but I also did not see any birth records.

For Germany birth records, I would recommend Archion. My husband, Ron, has found a lot of my family's birth records here and they are from the same region of Pfalz/Rheinland-Palatinate. With that said, the records Ron is looking at are much older as this family line (Hey/de la Haye) of mine came to America in 1752. Since Archion is a paid site, it might be nice to search elsewhere first, especially since you're looking for a much more recent (1888) record.

Have you looked at this FamilySearch site (https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Germany_Civil_Registration) regarding civil registrations and where to search/look further?

In regards to your question about using the goancestry website, go to the Features section. My husband has provided a good synopsis of what is featured. Our big focus is on regions and some of the Nations and United States areas have more information than others. For example, since I have so much family from the Rheinland-Palatinate area, Ron set up a separate page to display more information. Go to Nations - Germany - Western - Rheinland-Pfalz to see that page or click here.

Happy Hunting!

Gary,

I have a few questions and then will see what I can uncover. 

First: Was it only LANDAU when referenced?  There are many villages near Landau and so just want to ask in case you already have more information.

Second, I did a quick look this morning and the specific Landau records during that time period are not yet digitized.  Not to worry, they are indicated as coming soon, but sometimes that can be later than you think.

Lastly, we are headed to Germany later this year and can possibly visit the archives and get the information from the book or viewer there.

If you wish to share any more information to help pinpoint the search please post here or in private message if you prefer.

do you know if he was Catholic or Protestant?

It seems your line is Catholic. 

I found another record which states he is from Herxheimweiher which is SE of Landau, small village east of Herxheim bei Landau.  Seems the church there was Catholic.  It states he was born 17 Aug 1885, Father Ludwig and Mother Karolina and it indicates that in 1905 he worked in Speyer as a Bookbinder from 19 Feb 1905 until 4 Mar 1905.  

Does this seem the correct person?  If so Karolina was also listed deceased; before Feb 1905.  Herxheimweiher is predominately Catholic from what scant indications I have found so far.  I believe there is a microfilm that the Family History Group possesses of this town and during that time period.  

Thank you  You are spot on as I have emailed you earlier of my finding the village of Herxheim also.   am following Familysearchcom for lots of info including a family tree.  Also, that is the first time i have seen Caroline spelled with a K.  Plus I have seen the working papers of Mathias's brother Theodor working in Speyer from 1902 to 1905. 

Is there anything else you are curious about or are you in a good place now with your research?

Not yet.  My other hot spot is Zwiesel, north and a little east of Munich.  My pop's mom Maria Eichenlaub, my grandma had her Baptism 1891 in Zwiesel.  This was verified by your Germany partnership group that found the church record and interpreted it. What a gift your group has.  Anyway, it was also noted that her father Heinrich Moser was present during the baptism.  I checked cemetery records in Zwiesel to try and find his grave,but nothing so far.  Also, the Theodor mentioned earlier became her husband when they met in living in munich.  Sorry for the long story.  But the church record also verified that the marriage in 1911 of Maria and Theodor was added into the church record.  How did the church in Zwiesel know of the munich marriage.  Was Heinrich Moser a long time resident of Zwiesel.  Maria did list on the Ship list to america Bronx, that she was from Zwiesel.  Still trying to find out who her mom was too including a name of Wildfeuer as relative.  Not much showing on that either.  If this stuff is not clear, I do get good stuff from family search website.  Again , thank you for the help that you have done. 

-gary

Getting ready to go on Spring break with the kids, so I will take a look as times permits.  Ancestry and Family Search have many records, sometimes people don't interpret them well or are not as selective as they should be in accepting hints or links.  

It wouldn't be uncommon for their wedding bans to be posted in his town of origin and in hers.  Common really.

If you have the original record please attach it to the forum, just upload a copy, or send to me using the messenger feature.  It may help my find something more.