Sign in to follow this  
Ronald

American-French Genealogical Society

Canadian immigration into the United States began as early as the seventeenth century, but between 1871 and 1901 the greatest influx of immigrants entered this country. Taxation, debts, unemployment, and a failing economic environment contributed to over 2 million Canadians with shattered dreams migrating to the U.S. seeking economic refuge. This was a major loss to Canada, whose population at the time ranged from 3.7 million to 4.8 million.

Since then, more than 10 million of their descendants have assimilated into American society. The language and culture preserved by the over-whelming number of Franco-Americans is disappearing, however, due to sociological changes.
The American-French Genealogical Society, formed in February of 1978, is a non-profit genealogical and historical organization devoted to people of French-Canadian extraction. Its purpose is to study and preserve our rich heritage by assisting members in discovering their ancestors and the daily events that shaped their, and our, lives.

The Society is actively involved in extracting, collating, and publishing Franco-American vital statistics, parish registers, burial records, and other data consistent with our culture. Our progressive leadership, assembled from a cross-section of our membership, is dedicated to the continued growth of the Society and the preservation of French-Canadian culture in the United States. Long- and short-range plans include broadening the Society's horizons, increasing its capability to direct research, and facilitating its members' search for their ancestors.

http://www.afgs.org/