The Rowe Historical Society owns and operates the Kemp-McCarthy Museum located at 282 Zoar Road in Rowe, Massachusetts. It opened on June 30, 1963. The museum has an extensive collection of local artifacts and antiques. Highlights of the collection include antique quilts, 19th century dolls, period costumes, china and glassware, sleighs, furniture, photographs, cookware, tools, farm implements, and an original 19th century hearse. Exhibits are updated regularly.
The Kemp-McCarthy Museum also has many valuable photos of townspeople and local sites, as well as literature from the Davis Mine and the Yankee Atomic Electric Company.
On November 30, 1957, eighteen town residents gathered at the Rowe Town Library to form the Rowe Historical Society. A Publicity Committee was organized to tell the public about the new society and to invite interested people to attend the next meeting. A Bylaw Committee was created to define the objectives of the society.
At the second meeting of the society on January 11, 1958, Bylaw Committee Chairman Wendell W. Bjork described the purposes of the society:
To collect and preserve historical records and data of persons, places and events in and associated with Rowe, Massachusetts
To collect, preserve and maintain an historical library and museum of historical relics and articles of historical interest
To awaken and maintain public interest in all matters relating to the history of the Town of Rowe
To acquire by purchase or otherwise, or lease or rent, real and personal property not in excess of the amount permitted by law as may be necessary or convenient as incidental to the purposes of the corporation, and to sell and dispose of the same