Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Gender

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

USNJ's Achievements


Experienced (11/14)

  • Conversation Starter
  • First Post
  • Collaborator
  • Week One Done
  • One Month Later

Recent Badges



  1. Case cemetery in Flemington? Cole in Readington? Holland Presbyterian in Holland Township, old portion? Kuhl in Raritan Musconetcong Valley Presb. Servis in Ringoes or East Amwell?
  2. This is a digital link to the Stryker Book. https://www.njstatelib.org/wp-content/uploads/slic_files/searchable_publications/reg/NJREGIntro.html
  3. This is a digital link to the Stryker Book. https://www.njstatelib.org/wp-content/uploads/slic_files/searchable_publications/reg/NJREGIntro.html View full record
  4. This map depicts the area within Blairstown Township in 1874. I had quite a bit of fun trying to piece this map together with the current time.I was able to find many of the features, whether roads, lakes, etc. on the current and old map. I was also able to find Hester's house located at:19-29 Cedarville RoadBlairstown, NJ 07825Hester was one of eight children the late Dennis Tinsman Sr. She is believed to have sold her inheritance land to her brother William and then may have moved here. I have census records that show this to be her residence from 1860-1880. She is thought to have died in 1891, but I have yet to find her burial.
  5. The Old Newark Burying Ground AN ACCOUNT OF SOME OF OUR ANCESTORS WHO WERE BURIED THERE. An article in the "Genealogical Magazine of New Jersey" by E.A. Baldwin and R.W. Cook entitled "Essex County Gravestones" gives an account of the earliest burying ground in Newark, New Jersey which was located where the present Branford Place runs from Broad Street to Halsey Street and adjacent area. Burials took place from the late 1600's until 1818. After 1790 most burials were made in the graveyard behind the New Presbyterian Church across Broad Street. The old cemetery gradually deteriorated, becoming a dumping ground for refuse, and interfering with the orderly progress of the city. Over a period of many years, through legislative actions and court cases, the city strove to eliminate the burial ground and turn the property to other uses. In 1887 the city began removal of the remains, but it was not until about 1900 that arrangements to dismantle the cemetery were completed. To receive the remains, a crypt was prepared in Fairmount Cemetery, Newark, under a monument dedicated to the first settlers of the city. The gravestones from the old burial ground were mounted along the walls of the crypt (which was an underground passageway, about six feet wide and possibly eight feet high) around the foundation of the monument. Unearthing of the old cemetery was completed in 1888 and the ones which had been dug up were placed in wooden boxes. These boxes were deposited in the crypt, November 26, 1889, being stacked in three parts of the passageway to a height of perhaps five feet. Services of recommittal and dedication of the monument took place on December 19, 1889. In 1890, before the crypt was closed, Mr. James Swinnerton, at the request of the city authorities, spent several days with a candle, making pen-and-ink sketches of the devices and inscriptions of the tombstones which lined the walls of the crypt. In 1925 the New Jersey Historical Society published abstracts of the inscriptions in its Proceedings (New Series, Vol. X, pp. 193, 321, 424). This article relied on Dr. John S. Condit's 1847 copy of the inscriptions (owned by the Historical Society), checked against Mr. Swinnerton's sketches. Over the years, doubt has been expressed about the accuracy of some of the inscriptions given in this article. and it was believed that a check of the stones in the crypt might clear up some of the questions. Accordingly the Genealogical Society of New Jersey made arrangements with officials of the Fairmount Cemetery and the proper authorities of the city of Newark, for permission to enter the crypt and copy the inscriptions found there. This work was done during several visits made in the fall of 1955. The actual copying and checking of inscriptions proceeded under great difficulty. The wooden boxes containing the bones had completely disintegrated over the years and it was not always possible to push the loose bones aside in order to examine gravestones set in the wall. Because of this, some of the inscriptions could not positively be checked; and if there were any gravestones set in the floor, under the bones, they too could not be reached. Most of the inscriptions, in any case, were found and copied. Afterward, the copy thus obtained from the original stones was checked against the Swinnerton sketches, now in possession of the Newark Public Library. Below, as a consequence, is a complete abstract of the inscriptions from the tombstone in the Fairmount Cemetery crypt, largely taken from the stones themselves and doubtless the best obtainable. Please see the "Genealogical Magazine of New Jersey" article for more complete information. B____, Mr. John - died 11 Aug 176_ (63 yrs 4 mos) BABCOCK, Sarah - died 20 Dec 1784 in 87th year BALDWIN, Aaron - wife Darcas, son Timothy (died 2 Apr 1743 aged 5 mos) BALDWIN, Insign Jonathan. - died 9 Aug 1726 in 35th year BALDWIN, Samuel - wife Elizabeth, dau. Elizabeth (died 15 Jan 1739 aged 3 yrs 6 mos) BALL, Jonathan - died 5 Nov 1755 (41 yrs) BALL, Jonathan - wife Jemina, daughter Catharine (died 25 Oct 1758 aged 8 yrs 2 mos) BALL, Moses - died 20 Apr 1747 (62 yrs), wife Mary (died 7 Dec 1747 aged 63 yrs) BALL, Thomas - died 18 Oct 1744 in 57th year BALLDWIN, Jabez - wife Phebe, daughter Mary (died 10 Jan 1764 aged 2 yrs and 2 mos), dau. Mary (died 14 Aug 1770) , son Caleb BANKS, David - wife Martha, daughter Mary (died 4 Sep 1768 aged 3 yrs 9 mos) BEACH, Zophar - died 27 May 1786 in 75th year. BLOODGOOD, Thomas - wife Margret, son Uzziah (died 30 Oct 1816 aged 17 yrs 2 mos 16 days) BREWEN, Daniel - died 13 Aug 1770 in 35th year BREWIN, Obadiah - wife Dorcas (died 1 Oct 1741 in 31st year) BROWN, David - died 2 Aug 1807 aged 82 yrs BROWN, Joseph - died 30 Jan 1733/4 aged 58 yrs BROWN, Samuel - wife Hannah, son William F. (died 1 Oct 1800 aged 9 weeks) BRUEN, Joseph - died 1 Feb 1753 in 76th year BRUEN, Timothy - died 5 Aug 1778 in 68th year BURNET, David I. - died 24 Oct 1765 aged 1 year 9 mos 17 days) BURNET, Dr. William - wife Mary, son Nathaniel (born 21 Oct 1757, died 1 Sep 1768) CAMFIELD, Benjamin - died 15 Oct 1738 in 28th year CAMFIELD, Ephraim - wife Sarah, daughter Lydia (died 12 Dec 1770 in 18th year) CAMFIELD, Deacon Joseph - died 14 Dec 1733 in 52nd year CAMP, Caleb - wife Sarah (died 1 Oct 1762 in 26th year) CAMP, Joseph - wife Joannah (died 10 Jan 1779 in 61st year) CAMP, Nathaniel - wife Elizabeth, son Joseph (died 19 Jan 1747/8 aged 4 mos 1 day) CAMP, Mr. Nathanael - wife Mrs. Elizabeth (died 12 Mar 1785 in 79th year) CAMP, Samuel - wife Mary (died 27 Nov 1720 aged 43 yrs) CAMP, Samuel - died 11 Apr 1777 in 72nd year), wife Hannah (died 28 Sep 1749 aged 41 yrs 3 mos) CAMP, Samuel - wife Hannah, daugher Jemima (died 10 Jul 1742 aged about 5 yrs) CLIZBE, Samuel - died 20 Aug 1816 aged 61 yrs 9 mos 15 days CLIZBE, Samuel - wife Jan(e), daughter Unas (died 15 May 1764 in 4th year) COOPER, Lt. Samuel - wife Mrs. Mary (died 20 Nov 1732 aged 55 yrs 8 mos) COOPER, Lt. Samuel - wife Experene (died 1 Jun 1757) CRANE, Daniel - wife Phebe, son Thomas (died 10 Nov 1736 in 23rd year) CRANE, (Dani)el - died 27 Mar 1785 in 77th year CRANE, Daniel Jr. - died 15 Jan 1748/9 aged 28 yrs 8 mos 7 days (on stone w/Joshua Crane) CRANE, Israel - wife Sarah (died 14 Aug 1785 in 68th year) CRANE, John - wife Abigail (died 25 Jun 1744 in 44th year) CRANE, John - wife Rebecca (died 28 Jun 1787 in 82nd year) CRANE, Jonathan - wife Rachel (died 3 Nov 1777 in 25th year) CRANE, Joshua - died 14 Jan 1748/9 aged 23 yrs 7 mos 2 days (on stone w/Daniel Crane Jr.) CRANE, Nehemiah - wife Lydia, son David (died 15 Jul 1773 in 23rd year) CRANE, Nehemiah - wife Lydia, son Joseph (died 23 Jan 1747 aged 13 mos and 22 days), 2nd son Joseph (died 3 Mar 174_ aged 3 mos 9 days) CRANE, Nehemiah - died 11 Aug 1751 in 32nd year CRANE, Obadiah - wife Phebe, daughter Joanna (died 18 Sep 1705 aged 11 mos), son Joel Conger (died 24 Aug 1714 aged 4 yrs) CRANE, Obediah - died 28 Sep 1784 in 43rd year, wife Phebe (died 12 Feb 1770 aged 27 yrs 27 days) CRANE, Obadiah - wife Jemima (died 30 Jun 1787 aged 33 yrs) CRANE, Phineas - died 13 Nov 1759 in 29th year CRANE, Samuel - wife Kezia (died 24 Sep 1779 in 56th year) CURRY, Samuel - died 29 Mar 1788 in 44th year CURRY, Samuel - widow Hannah (died 27 Jan 1812 in 70th year) DWIGHT, Stephen - formerly of New York, died 3 Oct 1785 aged 49 yrs FARRAND, Daniel - died 7 mar 1764 in 38th year FARRAND, Nathaniel - wife Mary, son William (died 11 Feb 1758 aged 11 mos 5 days), daughter Phebe (died Jan 17_9 aged 5 days) FARRAND, Samuel Esq. - wife Hannah (died 18 Oct 1748 in 63rd year) FOSTER, Nathan - died 18 Nov 173(7) in 54th year GRIFFITH(s), Thomas - died 30 Jan 1788 aged 70 yrs HA(LL), Zechariah - wife Hannah (died 12 Jan 1744 in 42nd year) HARRISON, Daniel - wife Abigail (died 11 Nov 1789 in 81st year) HARRISON, Jabez - died 15 Mar 1768 in 40th year HARRISON, Moses - died 18 Feb 1765 in 57th year HAYES, Thomas - died 16 Sep 1749 aged 56 yrs HAYS, Robert - wife (name not given, died 1 Jul 1761 aged 83 yrs) HEURTIN, William - died Oct 1765 aged 62 yrs and 4 mos HUNTINGTON, Samuel - wife Elizabeth (died 4 Jun 1775 in 70th year) JINKINS, Mary - died 27 Jun 1786 aged 45 yrs 8 mos 10 days JOHNSON, David - died 27 Aug 1770 in 36th or 86th year JOHNSON, Capt. Eliphelet - wife Abigail, son Eliphelet (died 14 Feb 1774 in 21st year) JOHNSON, Jedediah - wife Jane (died 11 Oct 1767 aged 28 yrs) JOHNSON, John - wife Lillis (died 19 Oct 1772 aged 21 yrs 1 mo 20 days) JOHNSON, Mr. John - died 9 Mar 1752 aged 52 yrs JOHNSON, Nathaniel - wife Sarah, daughter Sarah (died 15 Apr 1737 aged 5 yrs 3 mos 13 days) JOHNSON, Robert - wife Elizabeth, daughter Margret (died 25 Aug 1775 aged 2 yrs 11 days) KING, Dublin - died 2 Feb 1806 aged 62 yrs LUPTON, William - wife Elizabeth, son Robert (died 3 Aug 1784 aged 11 yrs 6 mos 11 days) LYON, Mr. Henery - died 23 Mar 1707 aged 84 yrs MEADLIS, Samuel - died 27 Jun 1765 in 54th year MONTGOMERY, Cato - wife Lettis, son Thomas (died 14 Nov 1789 aged 4 mos 21 days, a slave?) MORRES, Capt. John - died 22 Oct 1749 in 83rd year, wife Sarah (of Capt. John "Morris", died 3 Sep 1739 aged about 74 yrs) MORRIS, John - died 21 Nov 1778 in 45th year, wife Eunice (died 12 Jun 1813 in 73rd year) NESBET, Samuel - son of John and Ellenor, died 17 Sep 1788 in 28th year NESBITT, Samuel - died 12 Mar 1732/3 aged 36 yrs OGDEN, David, Esq. - died 28 Jan 1750 in 40th year PEIRSON, Josiah - wife Mary (died 12 Jan 1772 in 38th year) PIERSON, Capt. Josiah - died 10 Apr 1785 aged 54 yrs and 3 mos. PENNINGTON, Judah - died in 36th year. This is probably the Judah Pennington whose will was dated 18 Apr 1785 and proved 13 Jun 1785 PIERSON, Daniel Esq. - died 10 Oct 1777 in 74th year, wife Jemimah (died 25 Nov 1776 in 67th year) PIERSON, Theophilus - wife Katurah, died 9 Aug 1798 aged 59 yrs) PLUME, John - wife Joanna (died 9 Mar 1760 aged 52 yrs) PLUME, Samuel - wife Mary (died 17 Feb 1754 in 59th(?) year) ROBERTS - wife Abigail, son David (died 6 Sep 1738 aged 1 yr 8 mos 15 days) ROBERTS, Hugh - died 8 Dec 1738 aged 71 yrs ROGERS, John - wife Catharine, daughter Sally Ann (died 20 Jul 1805 aged 1 yr 11 mos 21 days) SARGENT, Joseph - died 26 Jan 1797 in 61st year SARGANT, Th(o_) - wife Joanna, son John (died 17 May 1746 aged 3 yrs 9 mos 23 days) SCHELLENX, Mr. Isaac - wife Hannah (died 29 Dec 1736) SIDMAN, Thomas - wife Sarah; daughter Martha (died 1 Mar 1788 age 5 yrs 3 mos 23 days) SMITH, Aaron - wife --, son? Timothy (died Nov 1792) STYLES, John - died 14 Feb 1754 in 65th year TICHENOR, Daniel - wife Abigail (died 15 Oct 1733 aged 25 yrs) TICHENOR, Jedidiah - wife Anna, son Caleb (died 8 Sep 1771 aged 12 yrs 9 mos 5 days), son Henry (died 2 Oct 1771 aged 4 yrs 9 days) TURNER, Doctor William - wife Mary (died 3 Mar 1737/8 aged 25 yrs) WARD, Abner - wife Sarah, daughter Phoebe (died 9 Sep 1779 aged 11 yrs and 4 mos), daughter Lydia (died 11 Apr 1793 aged 18 yrs 5 mos) WARD, Abner - died 25 May ---. Will of Abner Ward of Newark was dated 14 May 1777 and proved 26 Mar 1778 WARD, Caleb - died 9 Feb 1735/6 aged 66 yrs WARD, Daniel - died 4 Oct 1748 aged 24 yrs and 11 months WARD, Ebenezer - wife Abigail; son Uzal (died 6 Jun 1788 aged 17 months) WARD, Lawrence - wife Elenor (died 24 Aug 1783 aged 78 yrs and 3 mos) WARD, Moses - wife Elizabeth, son David (died 12 Sep 1776 aged 4 yrs WARD, Nathanael - died 9 Apr 1783 in 92nd year WARD, Major Uzal - died 15 Jul 1793 in 67th year WAUTERS, Thomas - wife Mary, daughter Fanna (died 29 Dec 1793 aged 4 mos 11 days) WE-L----, John - died 10 Dec 1769 in 54th year WHEETN, Samuel - wife Sarah; son Samuel (died 31 Jul 1733 aged 1 yr and 5 mos) WHELER, Dea. James - wife Mary (died 1 Jan 1763 aged 84 yrs) WILCOX, Thomas - died 19 Dec 1783 aged 42 yrs and 6 mos WILMOT, John Reed - died 17 Oct 1787 aged 32 yrs and 10 mos no surname given, Jack - wife Ann; son Asher (died 5 Aug 1763 aged 19 yrs and 5 mos) a slave? no surname given, Sharpe - wife Sary; daughter Fillis (died 14 Aug 1784 aged 1 yr 6 mos 14 days) a slave. In the Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, New Series, Vol. II (1926), pp. 199-204, are listed early inscriptions from gravestones in the burial ground of the First Presbyterian Church in Newark. A few gravestones, originally from the old burying ground, were removed from the First Presbyterian churchyard or directly from the old burying ground to the Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, 375 Broadway, Newark. BALDWIN, Phineas - died 6 Mar 1803 in 77th year BALLDWIN, Joseph - died 20 Sep 1776 aged 92 yrs CANFIELD, Nathanael - wife Jemime (died 31 Jan 1793 in 42nd year) COE, Benjamin - died 21 Dec 1788 in 86th year; wife Abigail ("Coo") (died 4 Dec 1761 in 59th year) COO, Benjamin - wife Rachel (died 12 Aug 1779 in 70th year) COO, Benjamin - wife Bethiah, son Seare (died 4 Sep 1768 aged 2 yrs 1 mo 26 days) JOHNSON, Coll. Eliphelet - died 13 Nov 1760 in 64th year JOHNSON, Joseph - son of Thomas and Eleonor (died 11 Mar 1733/4 in 83rd year) JOHNSON, Mr. Thomas - died 5 Nov 1694 aged 64 yrs; wife Ms. Ellena (died 2 Nov 1694 aged 61 yrs) RICHARDS, Thomas - died 14 Apr 1788 in 47th year WARD, Abner - died 20 Oct 1817 aged 77 yrs 9 mos 20 days; wife Sarah; son David (died 27 Mar 1772 aged 3 mos 22 days) son Isaac Woodruff (died 28 Aug 1778 aged 6 --)
  6. Here is some information I have begun to collect in order document those records that are in existence. This may be dated information. If you anything to add, please post here or send me a message. In Essex County: First Presbyterian, Newark, 1667, destroyed during Revolutionary War Reformed (Dutch), Second River (Belleville), 1700 Orange Presbyterian, 1719, destroyed in fire of 1802 Reformed (Dutch), Fairfield, 1720, possibly destroyed in fire 1875 Trinity (Episcopal), Newark, 1743, no marriage records included in register Christ (Episcopal), Belleville, 1755 Lyons Farms Baptist, 1769 Caldwell Presbyterian, 1780 Bloomfield Presbyterian, 1798
  7. In 1701, 13,500 acres west of Newark was purchased for $325 (or about 2.5-cents an acre) from Loantique, Taphow, Manshum and others. The original deed burned in a house fire in 1745. Descendants of the signers of the original deed promptly signed a new document. These deeds were challenged as being unlawful. According to a survey in 1746, only 35 families lived in the area. When Samuel Baldwin was arrested in 1745 for trespassing on his own land, his neighbors armed themselves with clubs, axes and crow-bars and descended on the jail to liberate him. The struggle against the Proprietors continued until 1755. Daniel Lamson and John Condict acted as agents for the Landowner's Committee and pleaded the settlers case to the King in England. ALLING, Sam'll (1 Lot) BALDWIN, Ben (1 Lot) BALDWIN, Daniel (1 Lot) BALDWIN, John Sr. (2 Lot) * BALDWIN, Sam'll (1 Lot) * BALL, Caleb (1 Lot) * BALL, Edward (1 Lot) * BALL, Joseph (1 Lot) BECH, Zophar (1 Lot) BRANT, William (3 Lot) BROADBERRY, John (1 Lot) BROWN, Daniel (1 Lot) BROWN, Joseph (1 Lot) BROWN, Thomas (1 Lot) BROWN, Thomas Jr. (1 Lot) BROWNE, Stephen (1 Lot) BRUEN, Ele. (1 Lot) BURWELL, John (1 Lot) CAMBEL, Robert (1 Lot) CAMP, Sam'll (1 Lot) CANFIELD, Joseph (2 Lot) CANFIELD, Matthew (1 Lot) CLARK, John (3 Lot) CLIZBE, James (1 Lot) COOPER, John (1 Lot) COOPER, Sam'll (1 Lot) CRANE, Azariah (3 Lot) * CRANE, Daniel (1 Lot) CRANE, Jasper (3 Lot) * CRANE, Jasper Jr. (1 Lot) CRANE, John (1 Lot) CRANE, Joseph (1 Lot) CRISPIN, Squire (1 Lot) CUNDICT, John (1 Lot) CUNDICT, Peter (1 Lot) DAVISS, John (2 Lot) DAY, Paul (1 Lot) DELGLISH, John (1 Lot) DOD, Daniel (1 Lot) DOD, Daniel Jr. (1 Lot) DOD, Sam'll (2 Lot) FREEMAN, Sam'll (1 Lot) GARDNER, John (1 Lot) HAND, Anthony (1 Lot) HARRISON, Benjamin (1 Lot) HARRISON, Daniel (1 Lot) HARRISON, Georg (1 Lot) HARRISON, Joseph (1 Lot) HARRISON, Sam'll (1 Lot) HAYES, Thomas (1 Lot) JOHNSON, Eliphalet (1 Lot) JOHNSON, John (1 Lot) JOHNSON, Joseph (1 Lot) JOHNSON, Tunis (1 Lot) KITCHEL, Sam'll (1 Lot) KITCHELL, Abraham (1 Lot) LAMSON, Elezar (1 Lot) *(probably) LEE, John (1 Lot) LINDSLEY, Ebenezer (1 Lot) LINSLEY, John (1 Lot) LINSLEY, Jonathan (1 Lot) LINSLEY, Joseph (1 Lot) LUDINGTON, Tho. (1 Lot) LYON, Sam'll (1 Lot) MEDLIS, John (1 Lot) MORRIS, John (2 Lot) MUIR, Wm. (1 Lot) OGDEN, David (1 Lot) OGDEN, Elizabeth (1 Lot) OGDEN, John (1 Lot) OGDEN, Josiah (1 Lot) OLIVE, Antonie (1 Lot) PECK, Joseph (1 Lot) PENINGTON, Judah (1 Lot) PIERSON, Mr. (1 Lot) PLUMB, John (1 Lot) PLUMB, Jose. (1 Lot) PROVOST, Cobus (1 Lot) PRUDEN, Mr. John (2 Lot) ROBERTS, Hugh (1 Lot) ROBERTS, Sam'll (1 Lot) ROGERS, James (1 Lot) ROGERS, John (1 Lot) SARGENT, Daniel (1 Lot) SARGINT, Jonathan (1 Lot) SAYERS, Jonathan (1 Lot) SMITH, James (1 Lot) TIKENOR, Daniel (1 Lot) TOMKINS, Elezar (1 Lot) TOMKINS, Seth (1 Lot) TREAT, John (1 Lot) VANGESON (1 Lot) WAKEMAN, Mr. (1 Lot) WARD, Nathaniel, Sr. (1 Lot) WARD, Sam'll (1 Lot) WHELAR, Nath. Jr. (2 Lot) WILLIAMS, Amos (1 Lot) WILLIAMS, Matthew (1 Lot) WILSON, William (1 Lot) WOOD, Joseph (1 Lot) YOUNG, Robert (2 Lot) Like this
  8. Essex County is a county located in the northeastern part of the U.S. state of New Jersey. As of the 2010 United States Census, the population was 783,969, making it the third-most populous county in the state, having dropped behind Middlesex County. Its county seat is Newark. It is part of the New York Metropolitan Area. The Bureau of Economic Analysis ranked the county as having the 94th-highest per capita income of all 3,113 counties in the United States (and the seventh-highest in New Jersey) as of 2009. Prominent Cities Newark (/ˈnjuː.ərk/ or also locally /njʊərk/) is the largest city (by population) in the U.S. state of New Jersey, and the county seat of Essex County. One of the nation's major air, shipping, and rail hubs, the city had a population of 277,140 in 2010, making it the nation's 67th most-populous municipality, after being ranked 63rd in the nation in 2000. Located in the heart of New Jersey's Gateway Region, Newark is the second largest city in the New York metropolitan area, approximately 8 miles (13 km) west of Manhattan. Port Newark, the major container shipping terminal in the Port of New York and New Jersey, is the largest on the East Coast. Newark Liberty International Airport was the first municipal commercial airport in the United States and today one of its busiest. Newark is headquarters to numerous corporations, such as Prudential Financial and PSEG. It is also home to several universities, such as Rutgers–Newark (including its Law School), the New Jersey Institute of Technology, and Seton Hall University's Law School. Among others, its cultural and sports venues include: the New Jersey Performing Arts Center, the Prudential Center, and the Bears & Eagles Riverfront Baseball Stadium. Newark is divided into five geographical wards, and contains neighborhoods ranging in character from bustling urban districts to quiet suburban enclaves. Newark's Branch Brook Park is the oldest county park in the United States and is home to the nation's largest collection of cherry blossom trees, which number about 4,300.
  9. The New Plantation of New-Ark (Newark, NJ) On October 30, 1666, the following residents of Branford and Milford of the New Haven Colony signed the agreement to form a common township at New-Ark on Pesayack (the number shown is the order in which they signed the document): ALBERS, Hauns (31/Milford) BALL, Ed. (15/Branford) BALDWIN, John Jr. (19/Milford) BALDWIN, John Sr. (18/Milford) BLATCHLEY, Aaron (20/Branford) BLATCHLEY, Thomas (5/Branford) BOND, Stephen (41/Milford) BROOKS, J.B. (14/his mark/Milford) BROWNE, John (9/Milford) BROWNE, John Jr. (36/Milford) BRUEN, Obadiah (2/Milford) BURWELL, Ephraim (24/Milford) BURWELL, Zachariah (27/Milford) CAMFIELD, Ebenezer (13/Branford) CAMFIELD, Matthew (3/Milford) CAMPE, William (28/Milford) CATLING, John (11/Branford) CRANE, Azariah (38/Milford) CRANE, Delivered (19/Branford) CRANE, Jasper (1/Branford) CRANE, John (17/Branford) CURTIS, John (23/Milford) DALGLESH, Robert (30/Milford) DAVIS, Stephen (11/Milford) DAY, George (21/Milford) DENNISON, Robert R. (25/his mark/Milford) FREEMAN, Stephen (7/Milford) HARRISON, John (16/Branford) HARRISON, Richard (12/Branford) HUNTINGTON, Thomas (18/Branford) JOHNSON, John (22/Branford) JOHNSON, Thom. (22/Milford) KITCHELL, Robert (13/Milford) KITCHELL, Samuel (4/Milford) LAWRENCE, Richard (21/Branford) LINLE, Francis F. (16/his mark/Milford) LYMENS, Robert V. (15/his mark/Milford) LYON, Henry (8/Milford) LYON, Samuel (39/Milford) LYON, Thomas L. (23/his mark/Branford) MORRIS, Thomas (32/Milford) PECKE, Jeremiah (5/Milford) PIERSON, Abra (2/Branford) PIERSON, Thomas (9/Branford) PENNINGTON, Eph'm (34/Milford) PLUM, Samuel (6/Branford) RIGGS, Joseph (40/Milford) RIGGS, Edward (12/Milford) ROBERTS, Hugh (33/Milford) ROGERS, John (10/Milford) ROSE, Samuel (8/Branford) SARGEANT, Jona. (37/Milford) SWAINE, Samuel (3/Branford) TICHENOR, Daniel (17/Milford) TICHENOR, Martin (35/Milford) TOMPKINS, Jona. (20/Milford) TOMPKINS, Michael (6/Milford) TREAT, Robert (1/Milford) WALTERS, Joseph (29/Milford) WARD, John, Sr. (14/Branford) WARD, Josiah (7/Branford) WARD, Lawrence (4/Branford) WARD, John (10/Branford) WHEELER, Nathaniel (26/Milford)
  10. Hunterdon County is located in the western section of the U.S. state of New Jersey. As of the 2010 United States Census, the population was 128,349. It is part of the New York Metropolitan Area. Its county seat is Flemington. Hunterdon County was separated from Burlington County on March 11, 1714. At that time Hunterdon County was large, going from Assunpink Creek near Trenton to the New York State line which at that time was about 10 miles (16 km) north of Port Jervis, New York. After separating from Burlington County, Hunterdon included all of present day Morris, Sussex and Warren counties. On March 15, 1739, Morris County (which at the time included what would later become Sussex County and Warren County) was separated from Hunterdon County. The rolling hills and rich soils which produce bountiful agricultural crops drew Native American tribes and then Europeans to the area. Hunterdon County was named for Robert Hunter, a colonial governor of New Jersey.
  11. The following is taken from "Early History of Lambertville, NJ. 1703-1903". It is an interesting account of how the populace attempted to protect themselves, care for others, and survive various plagues. Just below the present rubber mill on Main street a village of small shanties for families and large boarding shanties sprung into existence, and emigrants poured in by the shiploads. Distressed creatures they were, too, these men and women, carrying on their backs and heads all their earthly possessions, and looking like Bunyan's Pilgrim, fleeing from the City of Destruction. They also brought with them a pestilence. Quarantine restrictions evidently were not, at that time, what they are at the present. The epidemic of "Asiatic Cholera" broke out among these people, spreading, not only through the town, but to the outlying districts. One Sunday three men were walking from Bool's Island to the town, when, on nearing it, one of the number was suddenly stricken with the dread disease. His companions hurried him, with all speed, to the doctors, and from there he was taken to an Irish boarding house, located on the southeast corner of Main and Lilly streets, but the terrified inmates refused him admittance, so he was carried to the barn and made as comfortable as the circumstances would permit, but he died in the course of a few hours. The next morning his companions took his clothing and whatever blankets had been used about him, carried them on long poles across the meadow and buried them back of the Baptist Church on what is now Ferry street. This was the first case. The entire community was dreadfully alarmed, as they had ample cause to be. The late Ashbel Welch, then a young civil engineer in the employ of the Canal Company, at once took an active part in organizing a Board of Health, procuring hospital accommodations and providing a "Potter's Field" for the burial of its victims. The stone house on the side of the hill just opposite the lot owned by Mr. John Lilly stood in the same unfinished condition as his father, when a boy, had found it. Workmen were at once set to work to finish it as rapidly as possible for the admission of patients, and nurses were procured. A great many of the floating homeless were taken there, and perhaps many others, but it is not known that one cholera victim left it alive, and one of the nurses (a colored man) died at his own home. The children on the streets shunned all the emigrants as well as any dirty-looking people. The doctors and the Board of Health issued precautions, both as to diet and cleanliness. To the dirty and dissipated, when stricken, it was, without fail, fatal, and such victims lived but a few hours after being taken with this dreadful disease. Multitudes were buried in the Potter's Field, the location of which was on the south side of the Rocktown road, a little below the farm now owned by Mr. John Lilly, on land which he purchased recently (1901), and on the verge of a small gully. Nor were the residents of the town exempt from this dreadful plague. A little indiscretion in diet or exposure would very often result fatally. Even "Cholera Morbus" became epidemic, it being so nearly allied to cholera, and not infrequently caused death. Surely this year (1832) was one of terror and gloom to the inhabitants, and depression seemed depicted on every countenance, as each one felt he might be the next victim. In the year 1849 and 1854 the town was again visited by this plague, many dying; but there was no comparison in the death rate either time to that of 1832.
  12. A reference indicates that the New Brunswick Presbytery Church had an affiliation to the Greenwich and Mansfield Churches in early New Jersey. A Reverend William B. Sloan served over these two churches for about 36 years, beginning in 1798. Greenwich Church, began its time as a Log Church in 1740, then in 1755 a stronger stone structure was erected about 1 mile from the original along the Pohatcong river near Silver Hill. This stone structure was used until approximately 1835 when it was replaced with the current church. Greenwich Presbyterian Church Consistory suggests an affiliation with the Dutch. Records were first created 14 Nov 1803.
  13. Initial colonization was sparse. The area having been inhabited primarily by TREES. There were some "Raritans" or Native Americans that had moved up from the south to occupy the region for a time. When the settlement of the country commenced, a few families came from New-York, as White, Codrington, Royce, and possibly others, and settled on the lands they had purchased. Then Cornelius and John Tunison and Peter and Jerome Van Nest emigrated from Long Island and located on the Raritan, near Somerville, about 1683. John Inians, a merchant of New-York, purchased, November 10th, 1681,a tract of land on the Raritan, embracing the territory on which the city of New-Brunswick was afterward built, and others soon bought up nearly the whole space subsequently included in the Three-Mile Run and Six-Mile Run congregations. Additional settlers followed whether by road or rive. Soon after the Tunisons and Van Nests settled, Cornelius Vroom, Michael Hansson, Andries Aullyn, Derick Middagh, Michael Van Veghten came and joined them. Frederick Garretson, William Morrison, John Oatman Wortman, Jacob Sebring, Isaac Bodyn, Edward Drinkwater, Reuben Jonsen, Johannes Dameld, Gabriel Lebertstein, Hendrick Reyniersen, John Roelofson, Thomas Posselle, Folkerd Hendricksen, Pieter Dumont, John Hanse Hoeverden, Josias Merlett, Cornelius Powelsen, William Claessen, and others soon found their way. In the vicinity of Three-Mile Run the earliest names derived from the church records are Roelef Sebring, Hendrick Bries, Roelf Lucas Van Voorhees, Aart Artsen, Isaac Van Dyke, Johannes Folkersen, Jan Aten, Laurens Williams, Jacob Oake, Roelef Nevius, Charles Fonteyn, Hans Stoothoof, and Thomas Bowman.
  14. History of Montgomery Township Somerset County, New Jersey Located in the southern portion of Somerset County, six miles from Princeton University. Hamlets within the Township: Belle Mead, Blawenburg, Dutchtown, Harlingen, Rocky Hill, Skillman and Zion. Rocky Hill is now the Rocky Hill boro. Geology/Topography: Montgomery Township lies between the Millstone River Valley and the Sourland Mountains. History: Pre-colonial times – the Lenni Lenape Indians lived in the area. The first landowners in the future Montgomery Township were land speculators, such as Johannas Van Home and Peter Sonmans. The did not live in the area. Many of the land speculators were Dutch and from the future New York City area. 1702 – Dutch and English pioneers settled the area. Early mills founded on Rock Brook, Rocky Hill on the Millstone River, Bridgepoint on Pike Brook and on Bedens Brook near Blawenburg. 1710 – establishment of what became known as the Harlingen Tract (which included part of Sourland Mountain). 1722 – Montgomery Township founded. The Township was originally known as the Western Precinct of Somerset County (i.e. west of the Millstone River). Rocky Hill was the first village in the Township. c. 1750 – the first church, the Church at Sourland, built at Harlingen. The church shared its pastor with the church at Neshanic (1752) in Hillsborough Township. 1752 – an original settler of the area, Dirck Gulick, built the Gulick House in the Dutch Colonial Style at 508 Belle Mead-Blawenburg Road. 1775-1782 – the American Revolution. 1776 (December) – General Washington retired across the area after being chased out of Ne3w York. 1776-1783 – General Washington spent a lot of time in the area visiting his friend John Van Horne at his manor house just west of present Montgomery Avenue. 1783 – while he attended the Continental Congress session in Princeton, Washington had his headquarters at Rockingham in Rocky Hill. 1790s – a number of Montgomery residents were "Freeholders of the Western Precinct," such as the Voorhees, Blew, Stryker, Stockton, Hageman, Skillman, Sutpen, Updike, Stout, Beekman, Trehune, VanPelt, Duryea and Hunt. Dr.Witherspoon was head of the Council. 1798 – the Western Precinct was organized as Montgomery Township, named for Colonel Richard Montgomery, who fell fighting for the patriot cause in the Battle of Quebec at the start of the Revolution (1775). Up until 1800 – the Church at Sourland and at Neshanic conducted their services in the Dutch language. One of the pastors was Martinus Van Harlingen, who gave his name to Harlingen hamlet, to the church that now bears his name, and to the Van Hasrlingen Historical Society. 1800s – Montgomery Township still has many of the farms, dwellings and houses built around this time. 1820-1822 – building of the Georgetown and Franklin Turnpike between Lambertville and New Brunswick ( Rt. 518). 1820s – Mill Pond Bridge located on Mill Pond Road within the Bridgepoint Historic District. It is a three-arch, random-rubble stone bridge. 1822 – Opossum Road Bridge across Bedens Brook on Opossum Road is the county's second oldest bridge. It is a double-arched, random rubble stone bridge. 1830 – the Blawenburg church, an offshoot of the one at Harlingen, erected in three days. 1834 – the Delaware and Raritan Canal along the east side of the Millstone River. Before 1838 – before the creation of Mercer County, the southern border extended to Nassau Street in Princeton. 1860 – the 1860 House constructed in the late Greek Revival style on Montgomery Road. The house was once part of the 500-acre farm of the Van derVeer family. The Montgomery Center for the Arts is located in the house. 1861-1865 – Civil War. 1865-1870 – Mt Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church in the Rock Mills district built. 1875 – the Delaware and Boundbrook Railroad (later the Reading) established depots at Skillman, Harlingen and Belle Mead. 1890 – the Blawenburg Band, one of the oldest community bands in the State, founded in Blawenburg. 1898 – the facility for the treatment of epileptics was built on farmland between Blawenburg and Skillman. late 19th century – subsistence farming was giving way to specialized operations, such as dairying, poultry farming, and fruit orchards. Late 19th century – Bedens Brook Road Bridge built at Bedens Brook Road. It is a single-arch, 20-foot-long random rubble stone structure. early years of 20th century – arrival of the automobile, electricity and the telephone. The crossroad hamlets began to disappear, many leaving only their names to mark a road or an area, such as Skillman, Bridgepoint and Dutchtown. 1927 – a major north-south highway, Route 206, built. 1930s – the Ballantine (brewery owners) family of Newark added a mahogany-paneled library to the 1860 House. 1941-1945 – World War II. Post World War II – housing developments, shopping centers and business parks sprang up. mid-1900s – the town’s population was about 2,350. 1965 – the Van Harlingen Historical Society (VHHS) founded to help preserve the heritage of the Montgomery Township area and to interpret the area’s history through educational programs, publications, and exhibits. By 1970 – the population was 5,103. 1990s – Montgomery's population nearly doubled. late 20th Century — Montgomery Township is now primarily a residential community. 2000 – the population was 17,481. 2000 – Montgomery Township residents approved a referendum to build a new high school that will handle ,800 students. 2000 – the Mill Pond Bridge was repaired and restored by Somerset County. 2002 – Montgomery Township population around 18,772. 2004 – The Dirck Gulick House, at 506 Rte. 61 across from Dutchtown Harlingen Road, reopened as headquarters and library of the Van Harlingen Historical Society.
  15. The Van Harlingen Historical Society was founded in 1965 to help preserve the heritage of the Montgomery Township area and to interpret the area’s history through educational programs, publications, and exhibits. VHHS believes that by educating our people about our rich history, we create a stronger sense of community. As advocates for preservation of sites and settings, we also help the town make better decisions regarding development. The website offers a bit of information about the area and some of its famous people. http://vanharlingen.org/
  • Create New...