Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About USMD

  • Rank
    Advanced Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
  1. Certificates of deaths that occurred in Maryland counties beginning in 1898. Images of entries on 4X6 inch cards include name of decedent, place and cause of death, age, place of birth and names of parents, race, occupation, marital status and name of spouse, if any. Arranged chronologically by month and year, then alphabetically by surname for each county. Indexed for 1898-1910 by the BOARD OF HEALTH Death Record, Counties, Index series [MSA S1177]. ; microfilm, [MSA SM156]; online [MSA SE58]. Note that the Maryland law mandating the recordation of vital records by the counties, excluding Bal
  2. Wow, what a great digital resource. https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1803986
  3. USMD

    Town: Easton MD

    Originally called the "Talbot Court House" an act of legislation in 1788, renamed the town and county seat Easton. The early Federal period found the Court House, circa 1711-1712, serving the Maryland General Court and later became known as the "Capitol of the Eastern Shore". Quakerism began to impact the town in the late 1600s when the Third Haven Meeting House, circa 1682-1684, was constructed. The House stands today as the oldest religious building still in use in the United States and the earliest dated building in Maryland. Easton's experienced its first building act
  4. USMD

    Town: Oxford MD

    Chartered back to Augustine Herman's 1673 map of Maryland & Virginia, Oxford is one of Maryland's oldest towns. Mandated in 1694 by Maryland legislation as the first and only port-of-entry on the Easton Shore, the town gained significant prominence in colonial days and remained a booming port for over 75 years. Once named Williamstadt under the reign of Dutch King William III of England. Merchants from London, Liverpool and Bristol established stores in Oxford to trade merchandise for tobacco. Second only to Annapolis, Oxford was recognized as port to the largest number of ships. Ship
  5. Talbot County, Maryland Marriages Edward Starkey m. Susannah Harper, Aug. 18, 1742. Mary Webb m. Francis Chaplin, Dec. 14, 1742. Nathaniel Cannon m. Margaret Auld, Jan. 10, 1742-43. Jonathan Nicols m. Mary Knowles, April 25, 1743. Stanley Robins m. Sarah Goldsborough, Jan. 6, 1741-2. Jane Robinson m. Henry Martin, June 25, 1743. Benjamin Harding m. Hannah Martin, Nov. 18, 1739. Mary Hains m. Patrick Roach, Sept. 8, 1746. Nichols Cumings m, Mary Blackwell, Aug. 27, 1746.
  6. A grist mill has been working in the little village of Wye Mills since the late 1600s. Richard Sweatman operated a saw mill and two grist mills in 1706, and the village then became known as Wye Mills. Today, only one grist mill remains standing and continues to operate as a living museum. The mill dates back to circa 1681. Restoration of the mill was completed in 1990 under the direction of Preservation Maryland and a lot of hard work and effort of local residents. The Wye Oak, Maryland's State Tree, reigns supreme at 450 years old with its own twenty-acre park. The Wye Chur
  7. Tilghman Island was admitted to Talbot County in 1707. Originally called the "Great Choptank Island", it was known also as Foster's Island, and later Ward's Island. In the mid-1700s the island was inherited by Matthew Tilghman who changed the name to Tilghman Island. During the mid-1800s General Tench Tilghman bought the body of land and established two steam sawmills. In the early 19th century, parcels of land were sold to oystermen wanting to close proximity to the prime harvesting grounds surrounding Tilghman Island. By the turn of the century, two thriving industries - steamboat service an
  8. When James Braddock came to town, he was an agent for a Liverpool firm of merchants. In 1778, he began developing the town and purchased land grant properties sold at auction. The area he developed began at St. Michaels Harbor (originally known as Church Creek) westward to Talbot Street (once Market Street) and included the inlet known as Church Cove. St. Michaels named for the Archangel St. Michael, has been an active port since the town was developed. The shipbuilding industry has played a major role in its economy with specialization in seagoing vessels and bay craft. The
  9. The Talbot Historical Society (THS) was founded in 1954, just two years after the opening of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Seeking a balance between growth and preservation, the Society stands among the organizations formed by citizens to preserve the heritage of the Eastern Shore. http://www.hstc.org/ What makes the Talbot Historical Society interesting and important? The objects we actively collect, maintain and share are important vehicles to document and represent the cultural history of the Talbot County community. Since 1999, the Society h
  • Create New...