Jump to content

USRI

Moderators
  • Content Count

    113
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1 Neutral

About USRI

  • Rank
    Researcher

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Female

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Founded in 1966, the East Providence Historical Society meetings were originally held at the Roger Williams Grange, Rumford Grange and the former Rumford Community Center. In 1987 the Society was granted a lease from the City to occupy the historic John Hunt House in the picturesque Hunt’s Mills section in Rumford. The house, built between 1750 – 1790, is a 5 bay, center chimney, Georgian style residence typical of a well-to-do family living in a country setting. The John Hunt House functions as a headquarters for regular and special events and is located in the southernmost tip of the Blackstone Valley National Heritage Corridor. Society members and volunteers have repaired and restored the building appropriate to the original design of the house. http://ephist.org/ View full record
  2. The Portsmouth Historical Society is a volunteer nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation and interpretation of Portsmouth, Rhode Island’s history. Our long term vision is to protect and promote Portsmouth’s cultural heritage by creating a secure and sustainable facility, where, in conjunction with other local organizations, we can store, maintain and display our collection of historic artifacts, offer lectures and research assistance to the public, and stimulate the study of our town’s history for future generations. We strongly believe that the uniqueness of Portsmouth today is defined by our past. The Society fulfills its mission by: Maintaining and providing tours of the historical buildings in its possession: a. The Christian Union Church (1865) b. The Southernmost School (1725) c. The Old Town Hall (c. 1850) . Collecting, conserving and interpreting historical documents and objects linked to historical sites, houses, farms, and families of Portsmouth. Providing direction and resources to assist genealogical and scholarly research related to Portsmouth’s history. Arranging exhibitions which use historical materials to enrich the public’s understanding and appreciation of Portsmouth’s rich history. Presenting programs on topics that build enthusiasm for preserving and supporting our local history. http://portsmouthhistorical.org/ View full record
  3. The society was incorporated under the laws of the State or Rhode Island as stated in the articles of association for the purpose of gathering and preserving historical materials relating to western Rhode Island and also to promote the social and cultural life of the area. Over the years, our collection has grown due to the generosity of current and past members. There is a wealth of information about many of the communities in western Rhode Island, as well as various items for furniture, quilts, clothing, and military items. http://www.westernrihistory.org/index.aspx View full record
  4. To procure and preserve whatever relates to the topography, antiquity and natural, civil and ecclesiastical history of the City of Warwick, State of Rhode Island. The Society serves to enrich its members and the citizens of Warwick by contributing to the preservation of its heritage and to the dissemination of knowledge relating to the historical background of the city. The Society shall collect, preserve and display artifacts, pertaining to the city of Warwick and shall be an advocate for the preservation of buildings and sites that are of historical and archaeological significance. http://www.whsri.org/ View full record
  5. The entire focus of the Historical Society took a major turn in 1976, when several individuals learned that the former property of one of the Charter members, Myra Appleby, was up for sale. The property had fallen into major disrepair, and following a meeting, each stepped forward into the kitchen of Mr. John Emin, and placed a ten-dollar bill on the counter. It was from this bold move that the work to reclaim and restore a historic home began. Wind whistled through holes in the wall, and certain floorboards and timbers were replaced. There were many hands at work during that time, and untold hours spent in a labor of love. The museum has undergone several transformations over the years, however the character of the house remains unchanged. Soot stained beams and time worn hearthstones in the keeping room; the decorative lambs tongue woodwork, and the chalk signature of Hugh Whipple, Smithfield, October 1755 still visible in the right light. The Smith-Appleby House Museum reflects the best of workmanship and design for a home largely constructed in the 18th Century. Also remarkable is that it is still standing today, much to the credit of the people who have cared for it over the years. In stark contrast to our contemporary mobile society, seven generations of the Smith and Appleby families were in residence until 1959. http://smithapplebyhouse.org/historical-society/ View full record
  6. The Burrillville Historical and Preservation Society has been in existence since February of 1970. Since that time, it has strived to preserve the history of our town by oral histories, slide show presentations on the individual villages in Burrillville, working with the Historic District Commission in its placement of Harrisville and Oakland on the National Register, cataloging the cemeteries, and in various other ways. There are many aspects of preservation, but the participation of the people is the most important one. Support us with your ideas, active membership, historical information or articles, and thoughts about the goals this organization should strive to reach in the future. The Burrillville Historical & Preservation Society meets on the fourth Tuesday of each month at 7:30 pm at the Bridgeton School. All programs are open to the public. http://www.bhps.org/ View full record
  7. The Little Compton Historical Society was incorporated in 1937 to preserve the history and cultural heritage of Little Compton for the enrichment and enjoyment of the general public. The Society fulfills this mission by: Maintaining and restoring selected local sites of historical significance including the Wilbor House property dating from 1690 and the early 19th century Friends Meeting House; Collecting, conserving and interpreting historical documents and objects linked to the houses, farms, and families of Little Compton; Conducting education and outreach programs and issuing publications to share information and stimulate interest in the area’s history. https://lchistorical.wordpress.com/ View full record
  8. The Newport Historical Society is a multi-faceted history-based institution that has three general areas of activity. It retains and preserves significant collections of artifacts, documents and properties. It supports, generates and collates scholarship on the history of Newport County and its place in American history. And, it develops and delivers a variety of educational programs — exhibits, tours, conferences, publications and other formats — to transmit information and open dialogs with the public about history. As a small organization with significant holdings and a large mission, it is specifically a component of the NHS’ strategic plan to work as much with other organizations as possible to expand its reach. We are relentless collaborators. http://www.newporthistory.org/ View full record
  9. The Block Island Historical Society Museum, Gallery & Shop are all located at the 4-way intersection in Old Harbor at 18 Old Town Road/Bridgegate Square across from the bank and Bagel Shop. The white three-story building with cupola and red mansard roof is the headquarters for the Society. The building is listed as part of the National Register Old Harbor Historic District. The museum building originally known as the Woonsocket House ca. 1871,( a hotel & annex with rooms that were rented to summer visitors up until the 1970′s ) was purchased by the Society in 1945. It was the original homestead of Gideon Rose and later rebuilt as a boarding house by A.J. Rose and family. The museum houses an extensive collection of significant artifacts related to Block Island’s history from early Manissean stone tools and points to early New England maritime and farming displays as well as colonial memorabilia and enlarged vintage photographs capturing life during the Victorian age. Two floors of exhibit rooms include fine furniture, Victorian collectibles, textiles, quilts, boat models, tools, fishing gear, historic maps, a reproduction of a Manissean midden, oral history tapes and other interesting displays. http://blockislandhistorical.org/ View full record
  10. The Tiverton Historical Society (THS) was chartered in 1879 as an educational and charitable institution under the name “The Whitridge Hall and Bowen Memorial Chapel Association”. For many years, Whitridge Hall provided a meeting place for clubs, church groups, young peoples’ organizations, etc. Lectures and plays were given there. With the large number of modern public meeting places available in Tiverton after 1950, the Hall was sold, and the association has devoted itself as a local historical society. Our headquarters is now located in the Chace-Cory House, 3908 Main Road, at Tiverton Four Corners. http://www.tivertonhistorical.org/ View full record
  11. The BH&PS is located at 48 Court Street in an 1828 jail built of granite blocks used as ballast in early Bristol sailing ships. It houses a museum with collections from early Bristol, a research library and a major collection of early Bristol portraits including four by itinerant artist Cephus Thompson. There is a Children's room containing early dolls, toys and clothes along with doll houses. There is also an 1859 two-tier cell block addition which holds additional displays. The Bristol Historical Society was founded in 1936 to "promote interest in historical research, stimulate the study of the history of Southern New England, especially the Town of Bristol, and collect and preserve whatever is related thereto." Prior to housing the collections in the jail building on Court Street, the Society was located at the Rogers Free Library building. In 1957, a disastrous fire at the Library destroyed many of the Society's treasures and resulted in its lease of the then abandoned Bristol County Jail for use as a museum, library and meeting space. By 1972 the Society changed its name to the Bristol Historical and Preservation Society to reflect its concern with preservation. The next year it was able to buy the jail from the State of Rhode Island. Restoration of the two-tier cell block for a display area was assisted by matching funds from the National Park Service. In 1976, the Society placed historic plaques on more than one hundred buildings as part of the American Bicentennial Celebration and to make officials and the citizens aware of the need to preserve Bristol through passage of the historic district zoning which was enacted in 1987 for part of the downtown area of Bristol. http://www.bhpsri.org/ View full record
  12. We have been an active organization for over forty years, committed to the preservation of Charlestown's history and its presentation to the public. The Charlestown Historical Society has been strengthened with new active members who have committed their time and their own special talents and expertise to our endeavors. They have been busy volunteering with programming, research, maintaining our Schoolhouse property at the Cross Mills Library and organizing and cataloging our archives and collections. We are now in the process of constructing a permanent multi-purpose building to house our collections and provide exhibitions for the public. This building will also serve as a center for events and research. All of Charlestown's historic villages (Carolina, Cross Mills, Kenyon, Shannock, and Quonochontaug) as well as Charlestown's Native American heritage will be represented in this new home. http://charlestownhistorical.org/ View full record
  13. The mission of the Westerly Historical Society is to research, study, and preserve local history in our community. We are an all-volunteer, non-profit organization with a dedicated group of members and officers. We own many historical artifacts and an extensive photographic collection. We present a monthly lecture series and issue a monthly newsletter containing scholarly research. We invite you to join us as a member, volunteer, or donor. https://westerlyhistoricalsociety.org/ View full record
  14. The South County History Center was originally founded as the Pettaquamscutt Historical Society in 1958 by a group of local residents interested in history and historic preservation. The Society drew its name from the 1658 Pettaquamscutt Purchase, in which settlers purchased 49 square miles from the Narragansett Sachems. In 2015, the Society embarked on a comprehensive strategic planning process, possible thanks to generous support from the Rhode Island Foundation, in order adapt the Society’s strategies and practices to better meet the changing needs of our community. Through this community-focused effort, the Society developed a new vision for the future: to become a leading research and archival center dedicated to the preservation and promotion of South County’s rich and diverse history. To better represent this new vision, the Society began operating under a new name, the South County History Center, in May 2016. Throughout its history, the Center has been engaged in historic preservation, presenting programs and exhibits to grow and deepen knowledge of our community’s unique history, developing an artifact and archival collection and providing access to these resources to encourage scholarly research and meaningful discussion of local history and its place within a national and international historical context. The mission of the South County History Center is to lead the discovery and stewardship of South County’s unique historic resources through meaningful and enriching learning opportunities. To achieve this goal, the Center preserves and interprets the material culture of South County through exhibits and study of archival, library and artifact collections. The Center’s collections focus on the domestic, social, business, and cultural life of South County from prior to the period of European arrival in Rhode Island through the present day. In addition to its efforts to preserve and interpret the history of South County, the Center is dedicated to the promotion of both scholarly research and professional development in the fields of museum work, library science, history, textiles, archaeology, and other fields that are relevant to its collections. http://southcountyhistorycenter.org/ View full record
  15. The Johnston Historical Society was formed by a group of historically minded residents in the late 1970s. They had previously been members of the Johnston Bicentennial Committee/Farnum House Committee which, of course, had come together to celebrate the nation's 200th anniversary. The founders of the society saw the need for a permanent organization whose purpose would be to research and preserve the town's history. In the early 1980s the group met in what was then called the Farnum/Angell House, and the society received a big boost when the town deeded the house over to our group in 1984. We now had a permanent home for meetings, a second floor where a tenant could live, and a place where we could start gathering artifacts for our museum. Around 2000 we opened our museum barn, built thanks to a grant from the Champlin Foundations. Our meetings were shifted to the barn, and we set up the museum. After research showed that our headquarters house had been built by Elijah Angell, we changed the name of the building to the Elijah Angell House. Today, it functions as a house museum and is part of the Johnston History Museum. Around 2002 we were deeded the historic Belknap School property. Thanks to another grant from the Champlin Foundations we were able to restore the exterior around 2005-'06, and a further State Preservation Grant allowed us to complete the interior during 2009-'10. On May 15, 2010, the 1892 one-room schoolhouse re-opened to the public for the first time with a dedication ceremony attended by five former students who last sat behind the school's desks in the 1930s and early '40s. Our society has been, and still is, involved in a number of activities. We are constantly adding to our collection of Johnston material. Monthly meetings with speakers are held at the barn. For the past few years we have hosted dinners and teas in the historical homes of some of our members. We have done much work with the town's one hundred cemeteries, and we have published a historical newsletter for the past twenty years. In the future we would like to start a program through which school children can tour the museum buildings and become acquainted with the history of their town. http://www.johnstonhistorical.org/ View full record
×
×
  • Create New...