Johann Peter Dunschman, solved

Ronald

I have been in the genealogy hobby for a fair amount of time.  The one person I have struggled with, the so called "Brick Wall" has been Dennis TInsman Snr.  This was the furthest back in that line I had been able to trace.  While it was a distant relative, I always wanted to solve another step or two and be able to say who my German relative is and where he came from in the homeland.

Today I feel confident about my decision in saying that Dennis Tinsman Snr, Sussex County NJ, dies in 1818. His father, Johann Peter Dunschmann, Sussex County Nj, dies in 1806 are father and son. Peter's other son is Christopher TInsman, dies in 1821.  Within the next weeks I will also be able to put more descriptive insight into the family happening that occur pre 1830 in New Jersey and some in Pennsylvania.  This family line has been a great challenge to me, but........

I AM DONE! 

• 1 month later...

Hi! I cam across this while researching my Wife's paternal line. She is a Tinsman, & apparently also shares lineage both Dennis & Johann. Do you have anything beyond Johann Peter's Father, Johann Theiss, you could share? I've dug around & found a TON of other Dunschmanns in what is now Gieleroth, Germany at the time, but can't quite make the link between them. I'm putting together a Family Tree for her Grandfather (A Great, Great, Great Grandson of Dennis) & would love to know any info you might have. I appreciate it in advance. Thanks!

-Nic

The Johann Peter that came to America is not the one identified in a book that most use.  Johann Peter and Thiess from that book never left Germany.

I have transcribed the church books from that time period and have traced the family back another few generations until the church books end around 1670.

• 4 years later...

I need to put together a concise Chronology of this segment of the family tree.  As I stated years ago the person identified in the Westerwald to America is incorrect.  Those listed in this book, Johann Peder Dünschmann and Johann Thiess Dünschmann, did not leave Germany.  They continue to be referenced in the church records at their children's baptisms, grandchildren's baptisms, they are even listed as dead and buried there. 

Further, the entry of Gielenroth in the Alstadt church book is also incorrect.  At his time the pastor often wrote the town of Gehlert in a long form which is being confused with Gielenroth.  Gielenroth is in another church (Almersbach) and parish region and would not be listed in the Alstadt churchbook without further clarification as to the parish location, which is NEVER given in the church book.